cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on CR2 codec and DPP 4 updating folders

dapelfrey
Apprentice

1) I have been unable to figure out how to see thumbnails of my RAW CR2 files from my previous T3i and new T7i in Adobe Photoshop Elements.  Is there a codec I could download which would solve this problem?

2) as a workaround for the above, I have been using DPP 4 to view the raw files before processing them in Elements.  However, recently when I've added files to folders, DPP 4 has not updated the folder to show the new files.  I tried reinstalling the latest version of DPP 4, but it didn't help.  Any other suggestions

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Where are you trying to see the previews? If the trouble is opeining the files, have you tried File->open in camera raw?

I've clicked on Open in Camera RAW and still don't get thumbnails for my CR2 files.

@dapelfrey wrote:

I've clicked on Open in Camera RAW and still don't get thumbnails for my CR2 files.

What OS are you using?  Where are the files being stored?  If you do not see thumbnails, then what are you seeing?

In Windows 10, you may have to tell the OS that folder is being used to hold media files.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm using Windows 10 Home.  The files are stored on an external SSD.  I see older CR2 thumbnails in the current folders when I open DPP 4.  But if I move a file from one folder to another in File Explorer--or if I change the name of the folder-- DPP 4 doesn't update.  And I can't see the CR2 thumbnails in File Explorer or Photoshop Elements 2019.

Good suggestion about the media file folders--I hadn't done that--but it didn't work.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@dapelfrey wrote:

1) I have been unable to figure out how to see thumbnails of my RAW CR2 files from my previous T3i and new T7i in Adobe Photoshop Elements.  Is there a codec I could download which would solve this problem?

2) as a workaround for the above, I have been using DPP 4 to view the raw files before processing them in Elements.  However, recently when I've added files to folders, DPP 4 has not updated the folder to show the new files.  I tried reinstalling the latest version of DPP 4, but it didn't help.  Any other suggestions

What operating system? If you open the file folder the images are in do you see them in the folder?  Is your Elements up to date? If DPP isn't seeing the files when you select the folder they are in it sounds like you might have a file problem.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
See if this helps

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/raw-image-extension/9nctdw2w1bh8?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

dapelfrey
Apprentice
I tried that before but reinstalled it just in case—still didn’t help.
Announcements