cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Camera Connect App

garybeck
Apprentice

My son has a nice Canon Camera and one of the reaons he picked this one is that he can control it from his phone.

He has the latest version of the Camer Connect on his phone and everything seems to be working but it is slow to respond, freezes often and sometimes just crashes.   He has an iPhone 6 and it works fine otherwise.

Any advice?

29 REPLIES 29

Buy one of these, or equivalent. Cheap on eBay. It is not the same thing as the connect app, but it works flawlessly for downloading photos easily to your iPhone or iPad. I am sure you can the same thing for an Android if you don't have an iPhone.

Micro SD TF CF Memory Card Reader Adapter Camera Connecter For iPhone

I wanted it mostly to take long exposures and family photos without the timer.  The remote is really expensive and isn't even available at the Canon store.  Around $100 on amazon.

I have a remote for my 80d that can be purchased for less than $10 - NOT Canon brand, but it works fine: Canon RC-6 RC6 IR Wireless Remote Control EOS M5 5D Mark IV 760D 5DS R Rebel T6i

Emme
Apprentice

I have a new Canon SX 730- the instructions to connect my phone to my camera were bad!  So I went online to youtube:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=sEH9XKqHNKfB0PEPoMuWMA&q=connect+my+canon+sx730+to+my+phone+you+tub...

Luckily it worked- and when I was done tranferring all my pics to my phone and then uploading to Facebook, I turned off the Bluetooth- but wanting to ensure that I could do it again- I am travelling at the end of the month- I wanted to set it all up again.  But NOPE, NADDA, NOT AT ALL!  What is going on??  

I need a human to direct me to get this to work- what is the Customer Service number so I can get some directions?  

Thanks!

emme

bowleradr1
Apprentice

i haved used camera connect very succesfully on my I pad air runningIOS 12.4.8 for several years to connect to my 5Dmk4.Today for some reason Camera connect crashes right after launch no matter how many times I try.I have deleted the app several times and reinstalled it from the cloud.I have rebooted my Ipad several times.I have a second I pad running IOS 14 which lauches camera connect and works normally transferring images.Any suggestions for the olderI pad?

I have the exact same issue with the latest release of Canon Camera Connect not able to run on my iPad Air 12.4.8. It closes as soon as I open it. I use this software for commercial photo shoots and was shocked when I showed up for a job today and was unable to connect with my camera.

I have had the exact same problem this week with my iPad and my EOS R. My software version on the iPad is also 12.4.8. The Canon software previously had been working OK but stopped working when Canon pushed out their revision of Camera Connect this week. The new Canon app works with my iPhone, which has 13.7 software, however, the iPad Air latest revision possible is 12.4.8. I think the iPad Air 2 might have a higher IOS version but not everyone has an Air 2.

Apple Customer Service spent a couple of hours with me reloading the app (didn’t work) then saving the image, wiping the iPad and reloading, and it still wouldn’t work. The camera still links to the iPad, but the app won’t open. 

I do do my mobile editing on the iPad so I really need to get Canon Camera Connect to work again. I can only get my photos into the iPad now by loading through Canon Camera Connect on my phone, then Air dropping to the iPad which is very cumbersome. 

If Canon would offer an option to download the previous version of Canon Camera Connect, that might temporarily  solve the problem until they get the new version fixed.

@Mastro2 wrote:

I have had the exact same problem this week with my iPad and my EOS R. My software version on the iPad is also 12.4.8. The Canon software previously had been working OK but stopped working when Canon pushed out their revision of Camera Connect this week. The new Canon app works with my iPhone, which has 13.7 software, however, the iPad Air latest revision possible is 12.4.8. I think the iPad Air 2 might have a higher IOS version but not everyone has an Air 2.

Apple Customer Service spent a couple of hours with me reloading the app (didn’t work) then saving the image, wiping the iPad and reloading, and it still wouldn’t work. The camera still links to the iPad, but the app won’t open. 

I do do my mobile editing on the iPad so I really need to get Canon Camera Connect to work again. I can only get my photos into the iPad now by loading through Canon Camera Connect on my phone, then Air dropping to the iPad which is very cumbersome. 

If Canon would offer an option to download the previous version of Canon Camera Connect, that might temporarily  solve the problem until they get the new version fixed.

Sounds like your iPad is an older model.  Here are the specs for the Camera Connect App.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/explore/solutions-services/mobile-apps/camera-conn... 

I do not think running an older release is the answer.  Previous versions probably do not know your camera even exists.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

To reiterate, this app worked fine on the iPad Air and the EOS R for a year already, no problems using the previous version of the software. The hardware still communicates fine. It is only the latest version of the software which does not open. 

The App Store said it would work with my version of iPad, the small print said it may not work with any listed device, lol. But the point is, it used to work with the hardware I have, and now it doesn’t.

@Mastro2 wrote:

To reiterate, this app worked fine on the iPad Air and the EOS R for a year already, no problems using the previous version of the software. The hardware still communicates fine. It is only the latest version of the software which does not open. 

The App Store said it would work with my version of iPad, the small print said it may not work with any listed device, lol. But the point is, it used to work with the hardware I have, and now it doesn’t.

Like I said, yoiur iPad is an older one.  I posted the link to the documentation page because your iPad does not appear to be listed as being supported by Apple.  Let me repeat that.  Your iPad is no longer supported by Apple.  

As you said, you cannot run the latest OS like an iPad Air 2.  That is not Canon's fault.  It is not Canon's fault that Apple only makes the most recent version available for download.  Apple controls what is available in their App Store, not Canon.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements