cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Canon is holding my videos hostage

jadeaj58
Contributor

Not to be dramatic, but I'm about ready to call it quits on my Canon EOS M100.

The Camera Connect app can't connect long enough to download the videos, so I was hoping to connect my camera to my laptop (a MacBook Pro) to download the videos there. When I connect my camera via usb though, nothing happens.

If you have any idea how to get my videos to my laptop, without a wireless/bluetooth connection, please let me know because I'm at my wits' end!

9 REPLIES 9

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Does your MacBook Pro happen to have an SD card reader?  If so, you should be able to mount that and Finder should show it as a virtual volume on your desktop.  You can then drag the contents to wherever you need.   Note that the folder structure may be quite deep to where the actual video files are.

What I do though is still copy the entire card's contents to my main data drive.  Then in applications such as Final Cut Pro, I navigate to that folder and import footage from there.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Mine doesn't have a card reader unfortunately. 😞

They are very inexpensive to purchase. Staples, WalMart, Best Buy all carry them. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I finally got it to connect to Image Capture, it's very slow to connect for some reason, but I think I'll buy a card reader for the future in case I have more connectivity issues.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Did you turn wifi off before plugging in the USB? Usually Canons can't do both.

Yes, but nothing happens. The camera itself is also unresponsive when plugged in via usb. I can turn it on but can't access any of the menu or other settings.

No, because it is being controlled by the computer. Try running image capture with the camera plugged in. Is the card access flashing? Sometimes it can take a while to catalog a lot of videos.

My camera doesn't show up under the Image Capture devices. Is there a way to connect it some other way?

It finally connected and is downloading my videos! It seems there's a delay with the camera connecting to Image Capture, but as long as it works! 🙌

Announcements