cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF lens recommendations for video

Diakara
Contributor

I jave a rebel t8i camera and I take videos with it of my husbands band when he plays out. Right now I am just using the lens that came with the camera but would like to upgrade it to a better photo/video quality lens. Can someone please suggest one? I looked on amazon and found this one canon ef 75_300mm f/4-5.6 III telephoto zoom lens but amazons "sure fit" said it wont fit my camera. Thank you for the help. Edited** I would like to keep it under $1000.00. Im told you get what you pay for as far as len quality amd told to get better quality but it would cost more. I use both a tripod and i shoot holding the camera and moving around. Depending on the situation and venue. And if the singer steps down and sings to someone. Sometimes they are packed on a small stage sometimes not. Last venue they played at i could have used a wide angle lens to fit them all so it didnt look like i was so far away from the stsge. Distance is depending on venue also. Sometimes im able to get up close to video (20ft ish) and sometimes im able to do it at a distance and zoom in. But im looking for something versatile where i can pop the camera off the tripod amd get upclose and personal for close ups.

7 REPLIES 7

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Actually the EF 75-300 would fit - your camera will accept all EF and EF-S lenses but not EF-M, RF or RF-S lenses.
That said, the EF 75-300 is arguably one of Canon's worst optics and does not have image stabilization, which might be an issue if you want to shoot hand-held.

It's always a challenge to offer advice without a budget value, but I hope you can find a solution from this list. There are some lenses that I would recommend, depending on your budget and the focal range required.
The EF-S 18-135 USM is an excellent lens designed for the Rebel range and while great at stills, the  nano- Ultrasonic focusing motor of this model is virtually silent, which is helpful for not polluting your audio - especially given you are recording a band.

EF 70-300 IS USM MkII: If you need a longer reach, rather than go for the inferior 75-300, the 70-300 range (there are four such) is all excellent, but for your purposes especially the model I have listed here.  It has great optics, super fast and silent focus, again thanks to its nano-USM motor.  A while ago I wrote a review of the range of these lenses so here is a link FWIW: 70-300 Canon Lenses In-Depth Analysis - Canon Community

In the mid-range is the EF-S 55-250 STM, another kit lens that is cheaper and has good optics.

If you want to get more information, perhaps offer more details on budget, how you shoot (e.g. distance, on tripod or not) and what you produce.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I would like to keep it under $1000.00. Im told you get what you pay for as far as len quality amd told to get better quality but it would cost more.  I use both a tripod and i shoot holding the camera and moving around. Depending on the situation and venue. And if the singer steps down and sings to someone. Sometimes they are packed on a small stage sometimes not. Last venue they played at i could have used a wide angle lens to fit them all so it didnt look like i was so far away from the stsge.  Distance is depending on venue also. Sometimes im able to get up close to video (20ft ish)  and sometimes im able to do it at a distance and zoom in. But im looking for something versatile where i can pop the camera off the tripod and get upclose and personal for close ups. 

Thanks for your response. What lens or lenses are you currently using what range do you think you would need?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Given you were considering the mediocre 75-300 and have a budget of under $1,000, I think this might be right up your street for that focal range. EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM (canon.com)  If you read my review of 70-300 lenses you will see my review and stills samples.

cheers, TREVOR

Thank you for your suggestion. I have read your review on it and i love the pictures. It is also definatly in my price range. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would not buy or use the ef 70-300mm f4-5.6 Mk II lens for video on a Rebel or any 300mm lens. It will be very difficult to keep the video stable even using a tripod. Besides inside a room even a fairly large room 300mm on a Rebel is a lot, a whole lot, of FL. What good does it do to get the video if you can't watch it.  The EF-S 18-135 USM is a much more reasonable choice.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for the suggestion. I will definatly look into it. Both suggestions are great ill probably get both. 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements