cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I start DPP by opening an image?

Notatim
Apprentice

With every other image editing program, I can tell windows to open that program when I double-click on an image.

For example, I could set the GIMP to be the default  program to open tiff files.

But I am having no luck doing this with CR2 files and DPP, of which I have the most recent as of 2023-07-27.

I know that in DPP I can navigate to a folder, but typically I am not going to work on a folder full of images but just a single one.

I find it hard to accept that this cannot be done. Perhaps there is an .exe file associated with DPP that I should be associating with the image?

7 REPLIES 7

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Hello, Notatim, and welcome to the forum!

This is how it works for me on Windows 10 Pro. Start by right clicking the CR2 file in Windows Explorer> Select "Open with"> If DPP 4.exe isn't in the list, keep clicking "Select another app" until you get to the bottom of the suggested apps (they should be in alphabetical order, so the list may be long). At this point you will see "Look for another app on this PC"> Click that and another Explorer window will open> Browse to "Program files> Canon> Digital Photo Professional 4> Then select DPP4.exe.

DPP 4 Default Open-2.jpgDPP 4 Default Open-1.jpg

I'm not sure why CR2 and CR3 files aren't immediately associated with DPP upon install, but that seems to be the case.

I hope this helps,

Newton

I tried this with my DPP4 (version 4.17.20.0), but while it started up the software, it did not automatically open the image file I used "Open with" on. I tried both .CR3s and .JPGs.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

@krahe wrote:

I tried this with my DPP4 (version 4.17.20.0), but while it started up the software, it did not automatically open the image file I used "Open with" on. I tried both .CR3s and .JPGs.

As far as I know and it may be the way that I have DPP set up, that's just the way it works. It will open DPP showing all of the files in the folder that contains your target file, but the file you clicked will be highlighted and ready, but you have to click "Edit" or "Quick check" or some other option to open the file. It just doesn't automatically open it for editing, at least for me, and I do one more click... "Edit Image" 🙂

Personally, I just open the program and go to the folder I'm working in. So opening a file by clicking on it in Explorer is something I seldom do. However, I can understand why someone would do that. My wife gets it to open in the DPP Viewer by double clicking, but I've never asked her how she does it because I'm just not interested.

Newton

My DPP4 always opens the last folder that was open the last time I used it.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

That is the behavior if you select the DPP app icon. It will behave as Newton described if you select an image icon. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

I figured it out. It only behaves like Newton described if the image/folder is on a local drive or perhaps a network folder mounted as a drive letter. If it's in a folder shared from another computer (all my photos live on a server that runs all the time, rather than the machine I use DPP4 on), it won't behave that way.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

For folks reading this there is a similar process that can be followed if one is on a Mac computer.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
Announcements