cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility to connect a camera would not start up for 5D Mark IV, Mark III, EOS 7D

kerrydigital
Apprentice

I connect my canon cameras to my computer to capture images and download them immediately for events. Recently as I was connected to the computer the power for my whole set up was cut off. When I reestablished power and tried to restart EOS Utility the utilily program would not start up except for the starting title slide. Then nothing. I have uninstalled the program, I have installed both version 2 and version 3 with my Canon 5d mark iv- mark iii - 7D and even with my old 50D. I even upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Microsoft says its not their fault. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

When strange things happen on my W10 PC I run the free version of CCleaner and do a registry clean. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

"Recently as I was connected to the computer the power for my whole set up was cut off. When I reestablished power and tried to restart EOS Utility the utility program would not start up except for the starting title slide."

I agree with John (jrhoffman75). When a program is abnormally stopped, it sometimes tangles that app in the registry. First, uninstall EOSU (2 and 3), run CCleaner and clean the registry. Since you uninstalled, this will clean any remanence of EOSU from your registry. If you feel uncomfortable messing with the registry, open regedit and save a copy of the registry.

Now reinstall EOSU, and hopefully, all will be right with the world 🙂

I've done this myself and it usually solves the problem.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

How are you connecting to the computer, Wi-Fi or USB cable? If using a USB cable, make sure that Wi-Fi is disabled in the camera. Also try another USB cable and make sure it is a data cable, not a charging cable.

Keep in mind that you don't need the EOS Utility to download picture files to your computer. Using a USB Cable, you should see your camera in Windows File Explorer and you can download your files that way. Also, the use of a card reader is a faster way to download picture files from the memory card.

Thank you for the advice.....but, I have been doing event photo shoots (particularly green screen photo ops) for 22 years. No one can use a card reader to keep up with 50-75 customers an hour and deliver a print for each in under a minute. Yes I tried many different USB cords. And I can't use file explorer because it won't load the images into the Event software that I use the same way that Canon EOS Utility does. Any other suggestions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can your camera be seen in File Explorer? That would show that Windows can see the camera. The only other suggestion is to try another USB port on the computer.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

When strange things happen on my W10 PC I run the free version of CCleaner and do a registry clean. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you. That helped. I was able to run EOS Utility 3 but not version 2. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try running the utility from the file EOS Utility 3.exe. See if that makes a difference.

Screenshot 2023-07-29 103819.jpg

That vintage cameras may need to run EOSU2. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Have you tried manually starting the EOS Utility?  After a new installation, some platforms require a “jump start” to make it start up automatically.

BTW, after you connect your camera via USB and turn it on, if a Windows dialog box appears asking you what action Windows should take with the device it just detected select “Take No Action”.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

"Recently as I was connected to the computer the power for my whole set up was cut off. When I reestablished power and tried to restart EOS Utility the utility program would not start up except for the starting title slide."

I agree with John (jrhoffman75). When a program is abnormally stopped, it sometimes tangles that app in the registry. First, uninstall EOSU (2 and 3), run CCleaner and clean the registry. Since you uninstalled, this will clean any remanence of EOSU from your registry. If you feel uncomfortable messing with the registry, open regedit and save a copy of the registry.

Now reinstall EOSU, and hopefully, all will be right with the world 🙂

I've done this myself and it usually solves the problem.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements