cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXIF information in Depth Compositing Tool in DPP 4

milind
Apprentice

I'm using the DPP tool to do focus stacking.  Works well, but the produced jpg has no EXIF information.  How can I get the EXIf information from the soure transfered to the output image?  Couldn't find anything obvious in the preferences.

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I don't think that there is supposed to be any.  You're creating a composite image from several images, each with their own EXIF data.  What do you think the EXIF data should contain?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

milind
Apprentice
This is depth compositing. There isn't a whole lot of difference between the Exif information between the first and last picture. It could pick up the first or the last image to get the Exif information from.

@milind wrote:
This is depth compositing. There isn't a whole lot of difference between the Exif information between the first and last picture. It could pick up the first or the last image to get the Exif information from.

You're making a false assumption.  Different SS and ISO values would give identical exposures.  If you wish to copy and paste the info your images, then I suggest that you do that.  It is not going to happen automatically, simply because it shouldn't, IMHO.

milind
Apprentice
I'd imagine the vast majority of the focus composting cases is for macro photography. There is no different SS or iso value. So the fact that there isn't an option to select an image as the source for Exif information is a blunder imo. And I totally disagree that it shouldn't happen automatically. At the very least it should be an option. I'd still opt for it in landscape photography with limited photos with different exposure settings. And possibly override those fields.

But yeah, looks like I'm going to have to do it manually using exifTool. Annoying.

@milind wrote:
I'd imagine the vast majority of the focus composting cases is for macro photography.
But yeah, looks like I'm going to have to do it manually using exifTool. Annoying.

Thanks!  You just cited THE reason why it should NOT be done automatically.  The "vast majority" is not 100% certainty.  As long as exceptions can exist, then it will probably never become automatic.  So, yes, you will have to do it manually. 

milind
Apprentice
There is absolutely zero reason why this can't be decided by the user. So yeah, it should at the very least be an option. It's easier to delete all Exif data then to copy all the fields manually. So yeah, definitely the wrong decision.

@milind wrote:
There is absolutely zero reason why this can't be decided by the user. So yeah, it should at the very least be an option. It's easier to delete all Exif data then to copy all the fields manually. So yeah, definitely the wrong decision.

I agree.  The user has the option to add it manually.

@milind wrote:

I do not know of ANY photo software that does it.  Do you?

Announcements