cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS3 utility USB connection fails on Win10/Ryzen - wireless normal

SoulsCollective
Contributor

Hi folks,

Our firm has just upgraded our AV machine to an AMD Threadripper 2 2950X/Gigabyte X399 from an older Intel 5960X/Asus x99. Huge (and greatly appreciated) speed boost in everything we do, but can no longer connect a 5D Mk IV via USB connection. Software environment is a fresh install of Win10 Pro x64, v1809.

• If EOS3 utility open and running before connecting camera, the main window flickers briefly before red text 'Connection lost' appears and the main window becomes unresponsive. The camera screen continues to show the 'Connected to PC' icon.
  • If the EOS3 utility is not open before connecting camera, upon connection the black EOS3 splash screen appears, but the application then hangs - a spinning cursor appears before eventually Windows detects that the app has crashed and it greys out about three minutes later.
  • When connected via USB and accessed via Windows Explorer, the camera is recognised by Windows and the directory structure of the CF card can be browsed, but Explorer immediately crashes and closes the window if the DCIM folder is opened.
  • EOS3 running on the same machine can connect to and download files from the camera via wifi connection flawlessly, with no bugs or other undesired behaviour. The problems occur purely when connected via USB.

Attempted troubleshooting steps:

• Disable wifi on camera - no change
  • All USB ports - no change
  • All other USB devices disconnected (except mouse and KB) - no change
  • Uninstall and reinstall of EOS utilities from latest online version
  • Uninstall and reinstall of EOS utilities provided on-disc with camera
  • Verify that USB connection possible to older Intel-based machine using same cable - performs as expected
  • Uninstall all Windows driver entries for camera - Windows detects new device on next USB connection and reinstalls - no change

This problem appears localised to the new Ryzen-based production environment, as the EOS3 utility and camera are able to sucessfully connect via USB on the older Haswell-E Intel machine and, as a test, on a new-out-of-box Surface Pro 4.

Any further suggestions or troubleshooting steps to attempt would be greatly appreciated, as we shoot purely in large-format RAW and so the file transfer times via wifi are cripplingly slow and seriously frustrating.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Firmware update 1.3.3 solved the USB 3 problem with AMD Ryzen processor. Today I upgraded my camera and connecting to USB 3 works flawless

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

OK, that seems to work, stupid I never even tried the USB 2 ports on the back of the PC. Lightroom and canon software are even processing and downloading my RAWS faster on my AMD usb 2 than on my surface pro 4 (5 yrs old) USB 3.0 port :s

SoulsCollective
Contributor

Coincidentally, have just received an update from AMD earlier this week on this issue:

"...

Thank you for the follow up and I really appreciate your patience while we’re working on this issue.

I can share with you that we have engaged Canon Japan with our findings and waiting to hear back.

As you can understand, winter holidays and COVID related shutdowns had impacted progress on both sides.

That said, I should have a better update for you over the next two weeks.

..."

SoulsCollective
Contributor

Further update received from AMD:

"...

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

Unfortunately, we have not received any updates from Canon even after several requests by our Dev team.

Would you happen to have a contact at Canon that could help facilitate this engagement?

..."

This is unfortunate - according to AMD, they have been trying to get a response from Canon to help them implement a fix for this issue since February, and are yet to receive any update. As such, it appears that the problem is now understood but the ball is in Canon's court to get a solution.

Is there anyone on these forums that is able to assist with getting some attention from Canon to this?

@SoulsCollective wrote:

Further update received from AMD:

"...

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

Unfortunately, we have not received any updates from Canon even after several requests by our Dev team.

Would you happen to have a contact at Canon that could help facilitate this engagement?

..."

This is unfortunate - according to AMD, they have been trying to get a response from Canon to help them implement a fix for this issue since February, and are yet to receive any update. As such, it appears that the problem is now understood but the ball is in Canon's court to get a solution.

Is there anyone on these forums that is able to assist with getting some attention from Canon to this?

Since February?  February of what year?  This has been an ongoing issue for a few years.  The latest boards released by AMD in 2021 seem to have cured the problem.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

USFMARINE
Contributor
No, not cured with newer AMD systems. I have a brand new Lenovo Legion 5 which does not work.

peterVC
Contributor
I just updated the bios of my Aorus x570 ultra to F33i which should be dealing with known USB issues, but the problem remains exactly the same as before. Really frustrating that a 4K camera and a 3K PC are simply unable to even transfer an image to one another. Was that a 1000$ extra option for each of the devices?

Same for my computer. New MSI motherboard with x570 chipset and latest BIOS. All other USB related problems are solved with this BIOS update (disconnecting external disks etc) but not for the EOS 5D. Still not connecting.

Strange thing is that connecting the camera to an USB3 port (C-type small connector on the motherboard) connect without problems. Connection on USB 3 with an A type connector fails.

I today checked the USB speed. Due to the adapter cable used the sheed is not super speed but high speed. In fact it is when connected via this adapter cable a USB 2 ports instead of USB 3. So still not able to use the max transfer speed of the camera with my brandnew PC

My RAID never shows up after sleep mode either. Has been an ongoing issue as well since I have the PC. I always need to reboot or start up to see my twin 6TB HDD's with photo and video archive.

@peterVC wrote:

My RAID never shows up after sleep mode either. Has been an ongoing issue as well since I have the PC. I always need to reboot or start up to see my twin 6TB HDD's with photo and video archive.

The AMD x570 chipset is not the most recent generation of AMD chipsets..  Relatively speaking it is an "old chipset", one that probably surfers front he same hardware issue associated with a couple of generations of AMD products.  

Please don't quote me on this, but I believe that the most recent generation of AMD motherboards is the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU and chipset, which a couple of forum users have reported no USB issues.  Here is a link to a review.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-5600x 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Firmware update 1.3.3 solved the USB 3 problem with AMD Ryzen processor. Today I upgraded my camera and connecting to USB 3 works flawless

Announcements