cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS webcam utility not working with Canon R

AustinEgger
Contributor

Hello,

I have wanted to use the webcam utility for many months on my computer but no matter what I do it won't function and I receive the screenshot below along with a computer icon on my camera. I have a windows 10 PC will an intel CPU and an rtx 2070.

I have tried installing different versions of 0.9, 1.1, 2, and others. I've tried many different cables, ensured wifi is off on my camera, and all the other options people suggest like having it on camera mode. I've tried a totally new windows 10/11 installation on a laptop and I get this issue. My camera is on the latest firmware. 

I have a friend who uses their eos R6 on their PC automatically recognizes my R as a webcam and displays an image. I think it is a driver issue or something because I compared my device manager and my control panel devices and printers and they are different than my friends. My camera appears as a canon digital camera in the unspecified section of control panel devices and printers. On his computer it appears in the devices section as a Canon R. I have included screenshots below.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

AustinEgger_1-1674789031343.pngAustinEgger_2-1674789047152.pngAustinEgger_3-1674789066810.png

AustinEgger_5-1674789110053.png

AustinEgger_6-1674789129425.pngAustinEgger_0-1674787817270.jpeg

AustinEgger_4-1674789076718.png

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I believe the camera should be in “video mode”, not “stills mode.”

That display with a USB cable and a Red X means the Utility is not seeing a camera on the USB port.  You made no mention of disabling the EOS Utility Launcher Service.  This is a computer service that monitors your USB ports for a camera connection, but it will also BLOCK the EOS Utility Web Service from accessing a camera connected to the USB port.

If you see the Canon camera icon in the System Tray near the System Clock, then right-click on the icon and select “Exit.”

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The EOS Utility Launcher Service detects a Canon camera, determines which model, and will then launch either the EOS 2 Utility or EOS 3 Utility.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I should have mentioned it in my original post but I had tried many things. I previously did both putting the camera on video mode with no luck and disabling EOS Utility Launcher Service with no luck either.

I have previously installed and uninstalled EOS Utility Launcher Service a few times to get drivers and disabled it while trying to use the webcam but with no luck. One thing I have noticed is that when installing it doesn't show that it will install EOS 2 utility. My friend who can use my camera as a webcam doesn't use the EOS 2 utility.

AustinEgger_0-1674874041899.png

EOSU2 is an older version. Not compatible with newer cameras. Current versions of the EOSU installer don't install EOSU2. Not having it is not your problem.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for the clarification.

I had to delete my Utility and delete the leftover files from library preferences. Reboot the computer and download the EOS WEBCAM UTILITY PRO. Then OBS found it.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@AustinEgger,

Follow Wadizzle's recommendations.  Also tell us what you see in device manager when the camera is connected?

Expand the listing.  Does it appear with a triangle of exclamation point !

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

It appears under the portable device as MTP USB Device.

I should have mentioned it in my original post but I had tried many things. I previously did both putting the camera on video mode with no luck and disabling EOS Utility Launcher Service with no luck either. I have also tried installing and uninstalling EOS Utility Launcher Service along with the webcam utility on my PC to see if that would work and fix the potential driver issue. I have also made sure that it is off when trying to use the webcam.

Under the camera, there is an EOS webcam utility.

Also, it works automatically on my friend's PC without adjusting anything on my camera.AustinEgger_2-1674874727563.pngAustinEgger_1-1674874381897.png

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Are you located in the United States?  Does your copy of windows 10 have Windows Media Player and include the Microsoft Media pack?  

Try right clicking on the MTP USB device entry and device manager and select update drivers from the context menu.  

Also, confirm your plugging your device directly into an available USB port on the motherboard and not through an adapter or hub.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements