cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS utility failure to connect on Widows 11

Boiledwheat
Contributor

Just bought a new laptop for tethered shooting. All freshly updated, I installed the EOS utility software for the 5D Mark 4, windows 10 (which is what the laptop originally had installed). The installation was fine but when I connected my camera, I kept getting the title pop up for EOS utility and it would load for ages and then eventually close with a “failure to connect” message. So I uninstalled, restarted, reinstalled, same result. Uninstalled again.

I updated Windows 11 to see if that would make a difference, restarted, downloaded the EOS utility software for Windows 11, restarted, same result. Anyone have any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Check the Canon support site for a firmware update for the 5DM4. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Is the camera recognized by W11 if you just connect to computer? It should show up as a device like a disk drive. You should also see it if you look at Devices & Printers display. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yes, the computer is recognizing the camera, and the EOS Utility is recognizing it initially. The title/loading screen pops up automatically once the camera is turned on or plugged in. It just won’t load past that title screen and I’m stumped. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Is wifi possibly turned on on the camera?

I don’t know W11, but are there possibly permissions that need to be authorized. I know macOS has them. Need to authorize disk access and folder access. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Still getting used to the W11 layout, but I've enabled all the permissions I can find, and tried running Utility as administrator. Still the same issue. 

normadel
Authority
Authority

Have you tried running the program as Administrator? Right-click the icon and select it from the menu.

Tried that as well, no dice unfortunately. I browsed some older threads and it looks like it actually might be a Ryzen/AMD issue? Which I hope isn't the case because I bought this computer specifically for tethered shooting lol.

Check the Canon support site for a firmware update for the 5DM4. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

That did it! According to some older threads, the original firmware doesn't get along with Ryzen processors. Firmware 1.3.3 fixed it. Thanks! 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you can roll it back to Windows 10, then do so. The only app that might need updating is the EOS Utility 3 itself.  Make sure you have as working USB data cable not a power only cable.  

Try all of the USB ports on the PC. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements