cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS cameras not recording to memory cards when using EOS Utility remote shooting

sparkycpg
Enthusiast

I have not used the EOS Utility for remote shooting for a while now.  I was was sure that the camera both recorded the images to the local camera memory cards and to the remote connected computer HD simultaneously.  That is not happening now and I cannot find any setting to change it.  It is only recording to the remote computer with both my EOS R5 and EOS 5D Mark IV.  Did something change in the software of am I just not remembering things correctly?  I downloaded the latest version 3.13.20.4

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Like you, I haven't used it for a year or so, but there used to be an option where you could select computer, card, or both. I just put together some old screen grabs from 2019. Maybe it's still this way... Just not sure.

EOS Utility-3.jpg

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

I wasn't argueing, but agreeing with you that they run in conjuction.  My gripe is with the program (DPP) and how it bogged down my system when testing it for remote shooting. DPP runs great on it's own as does the EOS Utility, but together they slowed everything down. Not sure why, it just does. Anyway, I've just always used the EOS Utility or Helicon Remote to shoot, save on the camera, then edit like any other session in DPP.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

DPP has a button to start up Remote Shooting. The DPP manual clearly states that remote shooting requires that EOSU be installed. No EOSU no remote shooting. 

EOSU allows a software other than DPP to be linked for viewing the remote shot images (or if no software is linked images won't be viewed but simply recorded). No DPP and remote shooting still possible. Seems like EOSU is the remote shooting controller. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

DPP has a button to start up Remote Shooting. The DPP manual clearly states that remote shooting requires that EOSU be installed. No EOSU no remote shooting. 

EOSU allows a software other than DPP to be linked for viewing the remote shot images (or if no software is linked images won't be viewed but simply recorded). No DPP and remote shooting still possible. Seems like EOSU is the remote shooting controller. 

Great info, John. I've only searched the DPP manual for stuff I was interested in, so that one got by me. But, it makes common sense. Also, it is good to know that the EOSU will link you up to other editors, although that is not my workflow when shooting remotely as I record to my cameras SD card, then d/l via built in reader, and edit. I could see remote shooting from a program, like DPP, being useful for a portrait photographer, but I'm sure there are better programs out there for that. I shoot with two computers and cameras to get different perspectives, Helicon Remote on one and EOSU on the other.

I use DPP as my primary Raw editor, it's simple to use and has the fetures that I need. I use a "light touch" and just don't require more than a bit of sharpening, saturation adjustment, and sometimes noise reduction and lens correction. It just fills my needs for the type of photography that I do. So, I've seen the remote button, but it doesn't stay there long because once my images are loaded, it goes away. I tried it years ago, but don't recall why. I tested "remote shooting" from DPP yesterday simply because it was brought up and I posted that screen grab. DPP would hang (DPP is not responding message) after every shot. I assumed it was because it was downloading the file. It would evenually come back to life, but using DPP as the launcher isn't acceptable for shooting bird action, LOL.

Newton

Hi Newton. The times that I have been tethered I used FastRawViewer as the linked software since I was only interested in verifying a good image. Everyone's workflow is different, but I never found a value in going to DPP while tethered since I wasn't going to be editing while tethered. 

I did try using no linked software (and just get the Quick View screen)  but I didn't see a significant benefit and got a larger (full screen) image with FRV. 

DPP gets a bad rap from some folks, but I have found it to be quite good. Even though I do have and use Lightroom I frequently use DPP for initial RAW processing. Fine Detail PictureStyle coupled with DLO (and no other DPP processing) exported as a TIFF  to Lightroom gives a good starting file. 

You can see all sorts of reviews where "Lightroom is best", or "Capture 1 is best" or "DxO is best". I've tried trials and my conclusion, for what it's worth, is 1. they are all good, and 2. "X is best" should be interpreted as "I like X best as a starting point for my editing ". 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank You. This setting still exists in the current version. I don't remember have to change this in the past. I think it was default.

Thanks! EOS version 3.13 (The current version, I believe) works exactly like you have so clearly described.   

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I have found that Canon software is actually very good, but often the capabilities are not apparent because their manuals tend to not be so good, and their indexing approach is horrible.

Another thing I just noticed for my 1D X MkIII (and likely the same for your R series) is that they list the camera manual on the download page and there is a date associated with it. I, and I would think most people, would assume that is the date of the file. For the 1D X the date is Dec 2020. Not so. The 1D X manual is updated to reflect the latest firmware that came out last week.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
"I have found that Canon software is actually very good, but often the capabilities are not apparent because their manuals tend to not be so good, and their indexing approach is horrible."

Exactly! And sometimes they note the date/firmware version in the header of the PDF manual, sometimes not. But still, a logical "Key word" search comes up empty in the PDF and you have to start using your imagination. I know that sounds weird, but that is what I have to do.

Newton

Announcements