cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility Shuts Off on Own During Live-View Usage

Kpop
Apprentice

So I have a Rebel t2i connected to my PC (Windows 10) with the USB port, and it automatically starts the EOS Utility software when I connect it, but after 30 minutes (I have multiple videos that show it's 30 minutes) the software will automatically shut off.

• I'm using the Live-View, not recording though. I keep the live-view open and do a window capture in OBS so that I can have a quality camera as a webcam for streams. (I'm fully aware that this camera is old, but it's better quality than a $60 webcam).

• The camera is on AC power, and the camera itself doesn't shut off when the application closes.

• All I have to do is press a button on the camera and the application starts again - I don't have to replug anything. 

• I'm not recording during because I get lag when I do this, and I don't want that.

• I've looked into the settings, and can't find anything that would cause it or make sure it does not happen.

• I've tried "automatic shut off (except with AC power)" on and off and it doesn't change anything.

• The version I'm using is up to date.

• Tried with and without SD card, doesn't change anything.

• Changed cables and it doesn't change anything.

• I've tried pressing buttons in the app preiodically to let the app know it's being used, and it hasn't worked.

I don't know why an app would close out every 30 minutes on it's own, I haven't had that issue with anything else. 

Let me know if there's any more info that could help, or any other (cheap) way for me to connect my t2i to OBS/Streaming Software that won't shut off every 30 minutes.

13 REPLIES 13

If I'm right about the reason, it's political, not technical. If a still camera could operate in video mode for more than 30 minutes, it would be taxed as a video camera by certain jurisdictions. (The US is not one of them, but rumor has it that the EU is.) So camera manufacturers force their still cameras to shut down at 30 minutes when in video mode to avoid the higher tariff.

You say you're not recording, but it's possible that for all practical purposes the camera doesn't know that. In any event, the fact that your problem always occurs 30 minutes in is a very suggestive indicator that you're running afoul of this limitation.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you for the response. I wasn't aware of that, and it makes sense why a lot of DSLRs automaticlly stop recording at 30minutes now. 

It would answer my question with that, but it would also mean there's no fix to this which sucks. I wish there was a confirmation for this as the answer, but I'll take it as the answer for now and search for other ways to get the camera to work as a webcam without the EOS Utility.

@Kpopwrote:

Thank you for the response. I wasn't aware of that, and it makes sense why a lot of DSLRs automaticlly stop recording at 30minutes now. 

It would answer my question with that, but it would also mean there's no fix to this which sucks. I wish there was a confirmation for this as the answer, but I'll take it as the answer for now and search for other ways to get the camera to work as a webcam without the EOS Utility.

Understand that it's not the EOS Utility that's making the camera shut down; if anything, it's the other way around. The camera keeps track of the time and knows that it has to shut down, whether the EOS Utility is there or not.

Bob

Oh that's confusing because the camera doesn't actually shut down during; it's still on, and I have my settings on the camera to not turn off automatically. I can test to see what the screen says when the shut down happens, I've never actually been behind the camera when it's happened.

@Kpopwrote:

Oh that's confusing because the camera doesn't actually shut down during; it's still on, and I have my settings on the camera to not turn off automatically. I can test to see what the screen says when the shut down happens, I've never actually been behind the camera when it's happened.

I think this is just a terminology issue. AFAIK, the camera doesn't actually turn itself off; it just stops recording video (or doing whatever else a video camera does). You have to take some action to start it up again. And from your experience it appears that what the camera does is sufficient to confuse EOSU into thinking, at least briefly, that the camera is no longer responding.

Full disclosure: I never shoot video myself, so I have no experience with the 30-minute limit. But it's well known and has been discussed repeatedly in this forum. You should find a statement about the limit in your user manual, though I don't believe it explains why the limit is there.

Bob

I just brought my camera and computer from Pennsylvania to Australia. Never had this problem before, and now I can't livestream because camera keeps disconnecting from EUS Webcam Utility!! Does my camera know what country I am in??
I'm going back in a few months so my fingers are crossed that it starts working again there!

Devik71
Apprentice

Hey!
I found myself in a same kind of problems with auto shutdown - using EOS Webcam Utility.
And my thoughts and tests led me to thinking that Webcam utility shares same drivers as EOS Utility.

And now - my shutdown problem SOLVED!

Here's how: (My setup privided with AC adaptor by the way and it's working well)
→ First things first - turn off auto shutdown, for most Canon cameras this feature located here:
374065.image0.jpg

→ And finally turn your camera into "Green Mode"!
This thing saved me, previously i was trying to work in "M" mode and i had a turn off or Error 073 or 079 every few minutes!
As soon as i turned on green mode on dial wheel - its working like a charm!
Three hours straight - zero errors or shutdowns.

My specs:
• Canon 80D.
• USB Connection via mini USB cable.
• Streamlabs OBS as host for videofeed. 
• AC Adaptor for wall power.

If you have any question - please send it via instagram - @devik71

what is green mode?

Green Square Auto

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements