cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 3.18.5.13 installer Crashes After Launch

Mostly_Birds
Contributor

Even a freshly downloaded copy of the latest EOS Utility (EU-Installset-M3.18.5.13.dmg)  crashes shortly after launch. The install fails. The summary crash report generated by Mac OS 14.6 follows. My comments and questions are after the end of the summary.

-------------------------------------
Translated Report (Full Report Below)
-------------------------------------

Process:               UniversalInstaller [62617]
Path:                  /var/folders/*/UniversalInstaller.app/Contents/MacOS/UniversalInstaller
Identifier:            UniversalInstaller
Version:               ???
Code Type:             ARM-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        Exited process [62616]
Responsible:           OFICore [62612]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2024-08-06 08:55:46.9124 -0600
OS Version:            macOS 14.6 (23G80)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        9E77241D-C92D-EAEA-FD94-8261AFE3C161

Time Awake Since Boot: 430000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000

Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11
Terminating Process:   exc handler [62617]

VM Region Info: 0 is not in any region.  Bytes before following region: 4331274240
      REGION TYPE                    START - END         [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD  REGION DETAIL
      UNUSED SPACE AT START
--->  
      __TEXT                      1022a0000-10230c000    [  432K] r-x/r-x SM=COW  /private/var/folders/*/UniversalInstaller.app/Contents/MacOS/UniversalInstaller

Thread 0 Crashed::  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   libsystem_platform.dylib             0x195b0f904 _platform_strlen + 4
1   UniversalInstaller                   0x1022d0cdc std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char>>::basic_string<std::__1::nullptr_t>(char const*) + 36
2   UniversalInstaller                   0x1022c00f0 canonsoft_uix::CServiceLogUtil::WriteSystemInformation() + 628
3   UniversalInstaller                   0x1022a6374 canonsoft_uix::CUIXApplication::ApplicationWillFinishLaunching() + 188
4   UniversalInstaller                   0x1022a4320 -[UIxApplicationDelegator applicationWillFinishLaunching:] + 64
5   CoreFoundation                       0x195bb6144 __CFNOTIFICATIONCENTER_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_AN_OBSERVER__ + 148
6   CoreFoundation                       0x195c4a3d8 ___CFXRegistrationPost_block_invoke + 88
7   CoreFoundation                       0x195c4a320 _CFXRegistrationPost + 440
8   CoreFoundation                       0x195b84678 _CFXNotificationPost + 768
9   Foundation                           0x196ca12c4 -[NSNotificationCenter postNotificationName:object:userInfo:] + 88
10  AppKit                               0x19941223c -[NSApplication finishLaunching] + 248
11  AppKit                               0x199411f1c -[NSApplication run] + 252
12  AppKit                               0x1993e9240 NSApplicationMain + 880
13  dyld                                 0x195757154 start + 2476

----------------------------------------------------
I'm running a Mac Studio, Mac OS 14.6. 

Earlier versions of EOS Utility, running under Mac OS 14.5 and now 14.6 cannot "see" a connected camera. I have a workaround using Apple's Image Capture, but it's a kludge and tedious, requiring three steps to get meaningfully named photos from the camera to the catalog. When EOS Utility worked, it was a single step.

Does anyone have any better experience, a better workaround or any idea whether Canon is working on the problem?

Thanks.
Jim DeWitt
Frozen Feather Images
8 REPLIES 8

Stephen

Hi, Jim.

Which camera are you using? 
Where did you get your copy of the EOS Utility?

Canon R5. 

From the CanonUSA site. https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-r5#idReference%3Dsoftware-drivers

Thanks.

Jim DeWitt
Frozen Feather Images

Good. 

I'm not tech support, but I nerd out on a lot of stuff, and I'm a Mac user. I've found that some software is weird if you don't install it from the desktop instead of the downloads folder. If you haven't already, eject/trash the current installation DMG. 

Try dragging the downloaded file to your desktop and then double-click it so that the DMG mounts from there. Once you've done that, you'll see the mounted disk icon on your desktop. Try running the installer now, and see if you have better luck. 

Let me know how it goes!

I saw that suggestion in another thread and tried it. Same result, right down to the same bad call in the Apple crash report.

Jim DeWitt
Frozen Feather Images

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Try downloading a fresh copy.  Erase your current copy. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Mostly_Birds
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions. I deleted all earlier downloads, emptied the Trash, downloaded a fresh copy to the Downloads folder, dragged the .dmg file to the Desktop. Mounted the .dmg file, dragged the eum3.18.5-installer icon to the desktop and launched. Same result: crashed about a quarter of the way through based on the progress indicator bar.

Jim DeWitt
Frozen Feather Images

If you have a third-party security program like an antivirus or malware protection, it might be interfering by being a little too aggressive, so you can try temporarily disabling it. (Think Sophos, Mcaffee, Bitdefender, etc.)

Analyzing your crash report indicates that (in plain language) there is something where nothing should be. 

A handful of things could be causing this, including the app being denied access (by security software, as I mentioned above) or by not being given admin/elevated privileges. You should be asked to enter your password/TouchID when you install it to allow the app access to all the folders it needs. 

If your user is an admin, and you've given the app permission to install, and you've disabled any security software, and it's still not working, I think calling support for one-on-one guidance would be super helpful so they can review everything with you. They're at 800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666), Monday through Friday. 

Mostly_Birds
Contributor

Stephen, I appreciate you time. I'm logged into the Mac as an Admin user. Other software installers work just fine so I don't think it is likely to be a question of privileges. The only security program I run is MalwareBytes Premium, which is pretty passive, but just in case I turned it off and tried again, with the same result. Notably, I don't get a password dialog before it crashes. 

I guess some time with Tech Support is next. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll report here the outcome of the tech support process.

Jim DeWitt
Frozen Feather Images

Announcements