cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 firmware update, can't open folder

BobArcand
Contributor

I am trying to update the firmware on my Canon r5, have downloaded the updated firmware, but cannot open the folder and cannot update my camera.  I am seeing conflicting instructions on how to update. 

10 REPLIES 10

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What make of computer are you using and what operating system?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

MacBook Pro, 2019, 16 inch.  Ventura 13.2.1.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Bob,

Open Finder Preferences.  Enable the "Hard Disks" option.  Now reopen the file.  This time it will mount and allow you to open it.  The .FIR file is the one you need to update the camera.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks, but there is no Finder Preference or Hard Disk option on my MacBook Pro.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Bob,

Please take another look.  I assure you its there.

shadowsports_0-1679949980424.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks.  I found it under settings and checked the hard disk.  Turns out the new firmware was downloading, I just did not see it in the usual location.  Making some progress, but no luck so far.  

BobArcand
Contributor

Thanks for the help; making some progress, but still encounter issues.  Formatted my card in camera, inserted into my Mac, opened the EOS file and dragged the FIR file from the update and dropped it into the EOS folder.  Not sure if it is now on the card but I think so since I tried a second (and third) time and received a message that the file was already in the card and did I want to replace it.  I then inserted the card back into the camera (fresh battery), set the mode to P, and went to the firmware menu item.  When I click to update, it shows the old/existing firmware and then tells me I must insert a card with the firmware into my camera, even though it is already there.  

Bob,

It sounds like you are close.  If you have 2 cards in the camera, power down and remove the one that doesn't have the .FIR file on it.

Note, the .fir file has to be in the root of the card, meaning not inside a folder.  If the file is inside a folder, the camera will not "see" it.

Example, this was an image from my phone, but you can see the .fir file along side the other folders on the card.  (Top level)

shadowsports_1-1678247520668.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Only one card in the camera.  I am not sure how to get the root of the card, when I open the download, the Fir file shows up.  When I insert into the card reader, it does not open on my computer, but I get an EOS_Digital on my desktop.  When I open it, I get two folders; a DCIM and Misc.  When I click on the DCIM folder, it opens three more files:  100 Canon, Canon MSC, and the EOSR5170.FIR.  When I click on the Fir folder, I get a message that there is no application to open the document and that I should search for an application.  Closer, but still stuck.  

Announcements