cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.10.20.1 Instructions for cropping and pasting images

frevans7155
Contributor

I'm cropping images in Digital Photo Professional 4.10.20.1 and pasting into a new image but can't find the instructions.  Found several "manuals" but haven't found how I paste them into a new image; or how to just save the cropped portion of the image.  This is my first DSLR.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

That is how it is. When you crop an image in DPP all you are doing is saving an instruction. The image isn’t really cropped until to convert and save or print it.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

That is how it is. When you crop an image in DPP all you are doing is saving an instruction. The image isn’t really cropped until to convert and save or print it.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Too clarify. You can copy the crop frame from one image and paste into others, but you cannot copy the cropped content. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

So I can't crop and save as a new image?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@frevans7155

DPP is currently at v4.17.20

Windows

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectSerialTarget.do?id=NGE4MjIzMWEx&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

Manual

cam.start.canon : For customers using the Digital Photo Professional

Mac

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectSerialTarget.do?id=NGE4MjIzMjA1&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

Manual

Canon : Product Manual : Digital Photo Professional (start.canon)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you are working with a single image the area you have cropped will show if you print the image or export it as a file (JPEG or TIFF). You can't, and there is no need to, copy the cropped area and create a new image. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

frevans7155
Contributor

Thank you.  I need to find a good, free software to do the editing I wanted to do.  I wanted to crop and create a new image without losing the original.  I really don't want to print every image.

You don't have to print, just "Convert & Save" the new image:

Original image showing crop areaOriginal image showing crop areaConvert & Save command windowConvert & Save command windowNew cropped imageNew cropped image

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

frevans7155
Contributor

OK,that would work. I guess I can save the original as a jpeg then crop and convert the raw image.

frevans7155
Contributor

Thank you; I need to read the manual, as well as the manual for the camera; it's a bit different than the 35mm I used years ago.

Announcements