cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R cannot connect via WiFi to EOS Utility (Win 11)

AMDphreak
Contributor

Hello, I have an EOS RP (mirrorless low-end model) and I would like to do remote shooting over the WiFi connection, using Capture One Pro, which I already know works with wired capture. I have a problem seemingly identical to the one here: Solved: Re: EOS R EOS Utility WiFi bug - Canon Community. I followed the instructions that atis said he was told to follow, however they did not fix my problem.

EOS RP firmware version: 1.6.0 (interestingly the firmware version only shows up in the menu when not in video mode...Canon???)

EOS Utility version: 3.16.10.8 (the problem also happened on 3.16.10.7 which was initially what I installed).

I tried using the Pairing over Wi-Fi/LAN shown below:

AMDphreak_0-1677357784657.png

but the pairing window does not show any devices available on the network.

AMDphreak_1-1677357906294.png

Since the plugged-in mode of the application worked, I wanted to try getting the two devices paired while connected over USB, but it is not possible to select the WiFi pairing mode while the camera is plugged in. Instead what happens is the app loads a menu. The download images slot is greyed out, probably because I have no SD card in the camera.

AMDphreak_2-1677358214442.png

I tried connecting to the camera via 2 different methods: A) private WiFi network hosted by the camera, which did not work, as the WiFi network was not even discovered by my desktop's WiFi adapter, which is 802.11ac and ax (that is, WiFi 6E) capable, and B) via my router's WiFi network, which also did not work. My PC is connected to the router via Ethernet. I tried two methods of connecting to the router's network, both of which seem to have connected to the router successfully: A) selecting SSID and entering password; and B) using WPS-button mode; however, I was still unable to get the EOS Utility to recognize the camera. I allowed the camera to configure its own IP address in both methods. I've tried the connection multiple times via each method.

As for the camera's configuration:

1. Wi-Fi: Enabled
  2. Password: Required
  3. Auto-send images to computer: Disabled
  4. Bluetooth function: Remote
  5. Nickname: EOSRP
  6. Wi-Fi function selected for connection process: Remote control (EOS Utility)

As for the direct WiFi connection, when the camera creates its own network, my computer sees a Hidden Network, which I believe could be it, but it will not connect if I type in the password given by the camera.

AMDphreak_3-1677359023248.png

My computer will also not connect if I define a new network using the given SSID and password and check the box that tells it to connect even if the network is not visible.

AMDphreak_5-1677359179628.png

It is unclear whether I should be using WPA3 or WPA2 or WEP. This detail is not mentioned in the official Canon documentation.

AMDphreak_4-1677359115547.png

10 REPLIES 10

The camera connects to the network. It just does not get discovered by the software. Would I be right in assuming that, were the camera unable to connect to the network successfully, it would display an error message on the camera? It does not do that. Only sits there and waits for the EOS Utility app to sniff it out.

Announcements