cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dpp4 version 4.17.20 says canoot import for a CR2 file

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

version is 4.17.20 just installed, first time ever using this, or a digital SLR.
Took some Raw and jpg photos to play around with, jpg reads ok bit the CR2 files, when I click one, gives a grey screen with a ? in the middle and a test message in a white box saying Cannot import Image.

Any ideas as to what I need to do to open them.  Basically I have no idea what i am doing, I selected an image (so it can see them) hoping to then play with the system to see what it can do.  Fell at the first hurdle 🙂  I am guessing I need to be in a particuler 'mode' or such to be able to do something.

If it helps I have picture style editor and that can see and open them ok.

Charentejohn_0-1687681165884.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Charentejohn wrote:

Rick, just says the same as your screen print, Opens with   Photos.

I have put this on onedrive John https://1drv.ms/i/s!AgZCpYNgfmp7jCAxqPtJCGT5T2dm?e=AIM0pf 
I noticed if I just click it it it open in Photos (windows) with the photo top left and the rest black ?  Good luck sure it is just someting I haven't done, usually is.

I get the same results in DPP4. And Lightroom says no preview availanble.

I looked at the image info in DPP4 and then looked back at your original post.

The image sizes are much to small for RAW files from that camera - 4.5 and 3.4 MP respectively.

Something happened to the images. Are these the only two files with a problem?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

This topic seems to cover the same problem on a EOS 1000D shooting in RAW + JPEG:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/EOS1000D-Rebel-RAW-problem/td-p/30665...

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

5div, thanks I will need to think about that solution, the large jpg+raw is interesting.

I tried the large jpg+raw and againit made them both th same size.
So basically RAW only shoots raw and is not a problem.
Jpg+raw shoots two the same size, one .jpg one .cr2.  Question is is this right ?  Or should this combination shoot one large one small.
Page 66 of the 1000D manual has info on what happens but doesen't mention file sizes.  Perhaps this is correct but not specifically mentioned.  I once did technical writing, computers, so know how difficult it is to keep it brief but cover everything

DPP4 will let me edit the full size RAW file, will not display the small raw file just ?, will display the jpg file but not (as normal) allow editing.  All a bit confusing, I will see if I can find info on what ;arge jpg+raw should produce.
In the end I can just use.jpg then switch to Raw if really necessary. 

@Charentejohn wrote:

5div, thanks I will need to think about that solution, the large jpg+raw is interesting.

I tried the large jpg+raw and againit made them both th same size.
So basically RAW only shoots raw and is not a problem.
Jpg+raw shoots two the same size, one .jpg one .cr2.  Question is is this right ?  Or should this combination shoot one large one small.
Page 66 of the 1000D manual has info on what happens but doesen't mention file sizes.  Perhaps this is correct but not specifically mentioned.  I once did technical writing, computers, so know how difficult it is to keep it brief but cover everything

DPP4 will let me edit the full size RAW file, will not display the small raw file just ?, will display the jpg file but not (as normal) allow editing.  All a bit confusing, I will see if I can find info on what ;arge jpg+raw should produce.
In the end I can just use.jpg then switch to Raw if really necessary. 

If you shoot RAW only  there is one file saved and it is .CR2 file suffix. Embedded inside the .CR2 file is a small jpeg that the camera and computer operating system use to show what the image is. You can't do anything with it.

If you shoot Large JPEG then, as the manual shows, (and you saw), the Large JPEG is the same file size as the RAW file - it's just processed in-camera using the settings you selected.

Shooting RAW + JPEG will produce two files on the card.

DPP4 will allow editing of a JPEG on your card, but the options are limited compared to editing a RAW file.

here is the DPP4 manual: https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_1000d.html?t...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Anonymous
Not applicable

When shooting RAW + JPEG, the camera should produce 2 files, one jpg and one cr2. As was already stated, the cr2 file should be much larger. For some reason the 1000D camera appears to have a problem saving both files properly. What size and type of memory card are you using? Maybe the problem has something to do with the memory card causing corruption of the RAW file. How are you transferring the files from the camera to the computer? Sometimes a bad card reader or USB cable can cause corruption of files.

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

Thanks John, if I use Raw I get a 10 to 11+mb file.  If I use the one below Raw+L I get the two as you say, usually the jpg is normal size (say 3.6mb) and the Raw version is about 4.5mb.  Bigger than jpg but not as big as the Raw only one, the smaller size means it won't load as the larger Raw one does.
I just assumed the jpg + raw would have a full size raw file, maybe because it is an older camera it isn't.

All that said I have been playing around with Raw and DPP4 and it is interesting so will stick with that unless there is a trick to getting a larger file when raw+jpg used.
I read a pro photographer who said he just used jpg for work, weddings etc as perfectly fine and less work, I assume he has a newer camera than me 🙂  I will just adopt the same approach.  If just a photo (I have loads of the cat) then not really needed, but if something specific I am learning to do that can produce a better photo that I want to keep or pass on I will use Raw and improve it if needed. 

Charentejohn_0-1687788337093.png

Here is what the manual states:

IMG_0109.jpeg

 I was unclear in an earlier post. A large JPEG has the same megapixels as RAW. The resulting file is smaller because JPEG is a lossy compression. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

Missed that, previous to the bit I posted.
I did have CR2 and jpg the same size honest, but can't do it again.  Just done 2 photos dial at Manual, one Raw+jpg and came up with 10.8mb and 4.9mb respectively.  Did one in auto mode which, rightly, just did a jpg at 1.5mb (smaller as lots of black shadows) so that works.
No idea what happened, it was doing raw and jpg with almost the same size honest...  At least now I can do raw+jpg for a while as a learning experience.  Camera gives it's best guess in auto and I can see if I can do better in raw.  The raw one even loads in DPP4, previously they wouldn't load with photo top left, so all ok.

Charentejohn_0-1687795236109.png
Thanks for sticking with this and making me see how it works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RAW cannot be shot in auto modes on that camera according to the manual. Could that have been the problem?

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

Thanks but not that, was always in M for manual with the problem.  I was getting raw and jpg files just the wrong size.
No idea what happened, apart from my knowing nothing 🙂 , but it was definitely a problem at first but now ok.  I will keep an eye on it.

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

Just a final thought for those interested, I did this again and it made the raw and jpg files the same size.  Luckily the CR2 file works and I can edit in DPP4.  Just wondering if it is the subject, basically all one colour, just strance that the sizes are exactly the same, see screen shot.  Link t 2 photos if anyone interested in figuring out why.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QHpgTVKEOiEIfRqdjzBgmZ4XFXIb7NbU?usp=drive_link 

Charentejohn_0-1687957301803.png

Announcements