cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4 Red vs Black AF Squares

Charlieaveragej
Apprentice

When I use cannons d pp4 and I checked the autofocus squares sometimes some are red other times with the same auto focus setting they're all black can anybody explain that to me. I have a 77D 45 squares.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Red squares indicate the points that were in focus. Black shows all the focus points. You can toggle between all or just in focus.

Screenshot 2023-04-19 075856.jpg

If you are in AI Servo focus isn't always locked, so no red squares appear.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The only time Canon’s DPP4 displays locked AF points is when the AF system in the camera is active when the shutter was fired.

For example, if you use BBF and release the BBF when shutter is fired, no AF points will be recorded as active, even though one or more may have had a focus lock prior to you releasing the BBF button.

Try this.  Take a photo of a static subject while keeping BBF pressed.  Try it again with the BBF button released.  The first photo will display active AF points, while the second photo will not.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Red squares indicate the points that were in focus. Black shows all the focus points. You can toggle between all or just in focus.

Screenshot 2023-04-19 075856.jpg

If you are in AI Servo focus isn't always locked, so no red squares appear.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The only time Canon’s DPP4 displays locked AF points is when the AF system in the camera is active when the shutter was fired.

For example, if you use BBF and release the BBF when shutter is fired, no AF points will be recorded as active, even though one or more may have had a focus lock prior to you releasing the BBF button.

Try this.  Take a photo of a static subject while keeping BBF pressed.  Try it again with the BBF button released.  The first photo will display active AF points, while the second photo will not.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Charlieaveragej
Apprentice

Thanks it helped

click here to view the gallery
Announcements