cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Utility fails to install - macOS Catalina

webrender
Apprentice

Hello, my Canon 80D was connecting to my computer nicely until I recently updated to macOS 10.15 Catalina beta. The camera no longer connects properly to my computer, and I am unable to install the EOS Utilities.  The EOS Utility installer starts, asks me for my password, but then freezes at "Preparing to install". 

The advice provided in the High Sierra thread (https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Canon-EOS-utility-fails-to-install-on-Mac-OS-High-Sierra...) has no effect.

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 8.35.25 AM.png

56 REPLIES 56

@smartins68 wrote:

I have the same problem! Is there a solution? I see lots of messages trying to blame Apple, but zero messages about the solution. Apple is a platform where each software company can opt-in or opt-out to run there. If

Canon did not do their homework to get ready for the platform evolution, just assume it and say you cannot support it. Stop pushing your responsibility to others.

It is not my obligation as a customer to see a VIP contributor ranting on users. All the users want is to get the software they paid for working. 

This problem is Apple's fault, through and through.  Apple did not begin working with developer until AFTER the product was released.  Yes, Apple announced a long time ago that support for 32 bit apps was ending, and it stopped there.  Read the announcement at the link just above.  

Apple dropped the ball.  Everyone is in the same boat with Apple,  Some of Apple's own applications, like Safari for example, are not fully working properly on all Apple platforms.

BTW, I do not work for Canon.  I am just a camera geek like you, but with far too many posts in this forum.  I had to do several months of rehab and disability and got hooked.  Using a camera gave me a reason to get up and walk around.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hazardous
Contributor

Well I see new software is available for download now however when attempting to install the EOS Utility it seems to hang in limbo and never gets to the next step. Something still isn't right.

newvideo
Contributor

Apple dropped 32-bit software to allow that faster and more efficient software could be developed going forward.

Canon OWNS the IP inside EOS software, and as such, it's not Apples place to tell Canon what to do with it.

The only party that can address this is Canon. 

It's the same as how Canon MXF coming to the C-300/500 series wouldn't work natively with Apples FCP X for months and months. Then suddenly things changed and it worked just fine. Clearly, Canon had to prioritize that and fix the issue. They did back then. Hopefully, they will do so again. 

This is clearly the same issue today, when we try to use the offical Canon software update web portal to update the EOS utility.
The ONLY software update that shows up when you select an older model like my trusty ad well-loved 5dMkii is Digital Photo Professional 4. THAT is apparently already 64-bit clean. But launching DPP4 reveals the presence of NO compatible current EOS Utility - and there simply isn't one available yet on Canon's web page. 

So how ANY of that is Apple's fault escapes me.

It's Canons IP. So Canon has to fix it this time, just like they had to fix it with the MXF parser issue. Simple as that. 

Yeah just ignore Waddizzle. Apple have been supporting 32 & 64 bits in parallel for *years* to allow developers to smoothly transition over. I just upgraded to Catalina myself and of my 50+ third party softwares, only the Canon Utilities and an utility from a defunct publisher got broken. Every single other apps I use have been upgraded to 64 bits in past year. 100% of the ball dropping is from Canon.

OK - I hope anyway that EOS Utility will be updated soon...

Below a quote from dpreview.com:

"

See this https://asia.canon/en/support/to-users-of-eos-utility-3-11-1-for-mac-os-x-and-picture-style-file-reg...

"

To Users of EOS Utility 3.11.1 for Mac OS X and Picture Style File Registration Tool 1.0.0 for Mac OS X

macOS 10.15.2 was released by Apple on December 11, 2019. Following operation checks performed with this version at Canon, we have confirmed a USB connection issue with “EOS Utility 3.11.1 for Mac OS X” and "Picture Style File Registration Tool 1.0.0 for Mac OS X" whereby the functions enabled by connecting a camera and a Mac device via USB cannot be used.

This issue does not occur on macOS 10.15.0/10.15.1. We are currently preparing to release versions of these applications that incorporate a fix for this issue.

For EOS cameras with Wi-Fi functionality, the camera can be remotely operated from EOS Utility via a Wi-Fi connection with the Mac computer.

For more details, please refer to the respective camera's user manual.

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience on this matter.

First posted on 12 Dec 2019"

CanalogSE

Best of luck to us all.  I've found that Apple doesn't follow through with promises to fix its software: long on promises, short on accountability and follow-through.  

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.

Sometimes I get the feeling that Apple wants to get rid of Canon...this is the second image download software that has been disabled in fairly short time, first Canon CameraWindow for download of images from my PowerShot G1x Mk III, and now the EOS Utility. Ir's really frustrationg and discouraging...

/B

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Have you ever written an application that runs on the Apple or Windows platforms? I have done both.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

newvideo
Contributor
We got a ping from Canon about this in another forum.
They are aware of the issue of the Utilities not working properly in Catalina and say they will be releasing an update to the EOS software to address it.
So it’s at least coming.

EyeOh10
Apprentice

I am using OS 10.15.2 and tried to use the EOS Utility to import in  my Canon Powershot A550.  The utility has not been updated and the A550 is not longer supported.  So after searching around I  tried the following.  Go to applications and then to Image Capture.  Plug in your USB cable to the back of your computer and check and see if your Canon shows up as a device. Then importd your pictures.  Works great.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements