cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Neural Network Image Processing Tool - Software New Technology Release

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Canon Neural Network Image Processing Software was released 11/21/2022 for the R5 C, and other MILC bodies. It integrates with DPP. This is a subscription-based product. More below if you want to read about it.

Canon : Product Manual : Digital Photo Professional : Neural network Image Processing Tool (start.ca...

image.canon | Cloud RAW image processing

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

18 REPLIES 18

Hi Rodger.

I noticed that the latest version of DPP no longer has the option to select the GPU. Must be hard wired now.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

bmitra
Contributor

BTW: I know what'll happen now. Someone will cite the URL for hardware specifications. Here it is: https://cam.start.canon/hy/S002/manual/html/UG-05_Synthetic_0080.html.

Computer #3 has i7, has 32 Gb and I confirmed with son - definitely the GPU support is there. What he says is probably needs something called high CUDA cores... go figure. And he said, looking at the specs demand he's pretty sure will significantly hog the computer.

bmitra
Contributor
bmitra_0-1672981710324.png

bmitra
Contributor

‎01-05-2023 11:19 AM

I use for Day to day straight DPP and publish to friends/family. I am no professional, don't need fancy tools like LS, DT, Capture One, etc. I don't do pixel peeking and hate those who do and finally not hung over some crazy stuff like "slightly soft at corners" mumbo-jumbo as long as I have a semi-professional camera and lens.

In order to further reduce the time it takes for me to process via DPP, I decided to try this new offering (pop-up keeps coming up) of this new neural processing tool.

Why crap? Well - guess what - I tried across 3 computers. Computer #1 - Intel i5 with 16 Gb RAM and a decent photo processing ($100) GPU card, computer #2  - AMD Ryzen with its in-built GPU (I use it for web surfing mostly) and computer #3 - with i7 32 Gb RAM and a GPU which satisfies my teen son playing stuff like Fortnight.

Across all 3 the message came - unable to determine your hardware meets our requirement type. I said: well, h$$$ with you. There are many products quite good, very well accepted by photography community I can use instead! To use your stuff if I have to shell out $300+ for a video card or have to upgrade my whole PC .. nah, not worth it. Especially when I don't think its benefits are that high. Oh wait... they (Canon) want to even charge (subscription fee) for it? Go figure...

bmitra_1-1672981725306.png

bmitra
Contributor

‎01-05-2023 11:19 AM

I use for Day to day straight DPP and publish to friends/family. I am no professional, don't need fancy tools like LS, DT, Capture One, etc. I don't do pixel peeking and hate those who do and finally not hung over some crazy stuff like "slightly soft at corners" mumbo-jumbo as long as I have a semi-professional camera and lens.

In order to further reduce the time it takes for me to process via DPP, I decided to try this new offering (pop-up keeps coming up) of this new neural processing tool.

Why crap? Well - guess what - I tried across 3 computers. Computer #1 - Intel i5 with 16 Gb RAM and a decent photo processing ($100) GPU card, computer #2  - AMD Ryzen with its in-built GPU (I use it for web surfing mostly) and computer #3 - with i7 32 Gb RAM and a GPU which satisfies my teen son playing stuff like Fortnight.

Across all 3 the message came - unable to determine your hardware meets our requirement type. I said: well, h$$$ with you. There are many products quite good, very well accepted by photography community I can use instead! To use your stuff if I have to shell out $300+ for a video card or have to upgrade my whole PC .. nah, not worth it. Especially when I don't think its benefits are that high. Oh wait... they (Canon) want to even charge (subscription fee) for it? Go figure...

The error message you posted states “unable to determine”, not that your setups aren’t compatible. Do you have a firewall block that needs to be opened so that the Canon website can access your computer to query your hardware configuration?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

It should be mentioned in documentation what the product needs....

bmitra
Contributor

bmitra_0-1673014910858.png

If your computer meets these specs, which are listed in the download details, give Canon a call at (866) 261-9362 and see if they can assist. 

5ADB4987-C63D-46D2-B1FC-C30650E16B00.png

Screenshot 2023-01-06 100351.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

bmitra
Contributor

I checked my firewall logs - there's nothing, no blocks.

bmitra
Contributor

As I said before someone I knew will send this. That's the 1st. thing I checked. Meets and exceeds. But software complained. As I said it's a money-making tool and not worth spending any more time trying to figure it out. I'm not calling Canon for all that'll happen is they'll direct me to the same URL.

Announcements