cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Eos utility 3 + Mac os ventura

talnisim
Apprentice

Hello,

A week ago i have update my macbook pro in to mac os ventura, the moment i have updated, the Eos utility have stop working. I needed to install and update Eos utility to Version 3.16.1, and ever since then, the moment i connect my camera it take alot of time for the utility to start working (it take about 20 sec - before the update it took about 3 sec.).

anyone had this problem?

Tal

11 REPLIES 11

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello talnisim,

This is something that Canon is aware has been happening on the new macOS Ventura. We noticed that having a large number of images on the card affects this startup time as well. We are investigating to see if there is anything we can do on our end or if Apple can provide more information.

Do u know how long it will take?

While we don't have a specific time frame for this, you can stay on top of software updates by registering your gear HERE and opting in for email updates whenever new software, drivers, and firmware become available.

talnisim
Apprentice

Hello,

is there something new about this problem?

I am erasing my sd card every time i am shooting but the moment the card have more then 2 giga of photos, the eos is  slowing again.

Tal

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello talnisim,

Unfortunately, we do not officially have any software compatible with the new macOS 13 as of yet. We are looking into whether there is something on our end that we can do about the issues that have come up until an updated software version can be released.

SteveHladky
Apprentice

I have found a workaround -- bit clumsy but it works for my Eos M6 Mark II  and a MacBook Pro intell running ventura 13.2

Eos utility 3 is set to open at login for my username.  Connect the camera via USB and turn it on. Logout as a user and log back in again. The utility then recognizes the camera (name displayed at top of window). Ask for automatic download.  Wait.  It says no new pictures. Cancel that notice and ask again -- it works.   I've also found on some of my attempts that with the camera connected and on -- you can do a restart and  login with a user for which Eos utility 3 is set to open at login.

Hope this works for others.

This process did not work for me on 13.2 using a 2019 i7.  

There is obviously something wrong with EOS Utility 3 and Ventura 13.2, so I'm not at all surprised that a work-around that works on one exact configuration fails on another. However, just in case in helps, here are a few more details of how I've made it work on mine (fingers crossed nothing breaks it).

EOS Utility 3 v 3.15.10

MacBook Pro 13 inch 2020 i5  Ventura 13.2

System Settings : General : Login items    Add EOS Utility 3 to the list of items to open at login.

Connect my camera (USB-C) then turn it on.  (If previously the camera has been connected using Image Capture.app and the option "open when connected" has been set to EOS Utility 3, the Utility may now open -- but it fails to recognize the camera.)

Logout user

(Camera still connected and on)

Login as user

Fairly far into the opening sequence the EOS v3 title box (for want of a better name) appears  then closes and below that position the main window appears with the name of the camera (EOS M6 mark II) in the second band across the top. That then works as it did for me under earlier versions of the OS. The annoying feature that it sometimes says there are no pictures to download -- but on clicking on auto download a second time it does find the pictures has been there for at least a year or two.  

If the camera is connected but off at login, then turned on the small window doesn't appear -- but the large one does, but without the name of the camera.  It hasn't recognized the camera, probably because it wasn't there at the only time it could look.  

After login connecting the camera and turning in on, may or may not start the app depending on settings. If not the app can be started manually, but regardless all you get is a rapid flash of the title window (sometimes), then the main window, but without the name of the camera.

It may be that other perturbations of these various "features" may work with different configurations.

If all options with EOS v3 fail. You can of course use Image Capture. Alternatively you can remove the SDHC card from the camera and use a card reader to get access to the images.

icancomplain
Apprentice

POSSIBLE WORKAROUND

So I just updated my imac to ventura 13.3.1 and am experiencing this issue where the EOS utility just hangs, presumably doing something with the large CF card on my canon 5D mark IV.  It has been maddening.  But ALAS, I tried something that worked.  As soon as you Open Apple Photos, suddenly the EOS utility shot into action and worked immediately.  I don't use Apple Photos.

Announcements