cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Utility Malfunctioning with Win 11

Wilbo
Contributor

I use a Stackshot rail system with an EOS T7 camera for microphotography.  The EOS Utility enables the camera to send the photos as they are taken to my laptop where I can process them w. stacking software. About a week ago I upgraded my sub 1 year old laptop to Windows 11 (from 10).  Ever since, I have not been able to get through a stack of photos without getting a "connection lost" message.  In a stack of 80 photos, I might get to 23 and from then on, the camera keeps functioning, but the photos don't arrive at the laptop.  At first, I thought it might be a loose connection or defective cable.  I replaced an AC camera adapter w. the camera battery thinking the adapter might have failed.  But, I still got the disconnect message often associated with a big red X over the EOS software photo frame. 

So, I replaced my new laptop with the one I had previously used for photo stacking.  Everything worked perfectly again.  Thinking the Utility may have been corrupted by the Win 11 download process itself, this morning I once again hooked up the Win 11 laptop to my camera setup, uninstalled the EOS Utility, restarted it, and then downloaded the most recent version.  Almost immediately I got the "connection lost" message again.  

It seems pretty clear, Windows 11 and EOS Utility are not getting along well together.  I can only think that until Canon upgrades the EOS Utility specifically for the Win 11 OS, I will just have to continue to use my old Win 7 laptop.  I have yet to see if the Win 11 download is reversible. 

Please let me know if you've had a problem...or not...with a similar photo equipment configuration.

20 REPLIES 20

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

A windows 10 > 11 upgrade is downgrade-able for 10 days.  Settings > Upgrade and Security > Recovery (example)

shadowsports_0-1641749228893.png

After that, its a re-install.

FYI, EOS Utility v3.14.30 listed for the T7 does not show support for W11. 

shadowsports_1-1641749522796.png

The utility is not certified for the OS you upgraded to. I am sure, a new release will become available in the near future.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Wilbo
Contributor

Hi Rick,

Thank you for the reply.  Unfortunately, it turns out that I missed the ten-day portal.  It was only after I wrote the message above that I investigated if it was possible to reverse the 10 to 11 process.  Looked like an easy solution, but by then, going through the steps you have included here, I got the message that it was not possible for this PC.  In that Win 11 has only recently come out, I would expect Canon will probably have an EOS Utility compatible with the Win 11 OS within a few months.  In the meantime, I'll just use my old Win 7 PC.  Hopefully this exchange will help others. 

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Interesting. Reluctant to change to W11 anyway. Not sure if the upgrade will be of benefit to me.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I am holding off on Win 11 upgrades for a year in order to let the dust settle.  Still hoping Canon will port DPP and utilities over to Linux which is a far more stable OS that is much cleaner.  My HP Z820 and Z840 both came dual boot with Linux and Windows installed and the only time I boot the workstations into Windows anymore is for DPP and EOS utility (I use EOS to transfer files via ethernet from my 1DX series bodies to the network).

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

BlueHen73
Contributor

I'm wondering if there is a compatibility mode from Win11 to Win10. I'm checking, but if anyone hears anything...

Retired, teacher, stringer, free-lancer, consultant. Too much still and video stuff to list; 70-200 still fav lens.

BlueHen73
Contributor

And as i thought, there is a compatibility mode, but it changes nothing...

Retired, teacher, stringer, free-lancer, consultant. Too much still and video stuff to list; 70-200 still fav lens.

So none of my stuff (7dII, 80d, etc.) is allowing a download.

GavinJ
Contributor

It is pretty disappointing that a company such as Canon can't release an update to coincide with the release of Windows 11.  Microsoft make the release to manufacture versions available to their partners very early on, and they certainly make the beta versions available months ahead of the release.  I've just upgraded with the expectation that all would just function.  Fortunately, I still have my old system available for just this contingency. Imagine though someone purchasing a new computer with Windows 11 and no fall back version available!  Ooops, major issue. 

Wilbo
Contributor

This is not a reply to above but an update concerning my use of the EOS Utility 3.  As stated in my original post months ago, I use the EOS Utility 3 along with a photo stacking rail system and currently a Canon t7.  At that time I had just purchased a new HP PC w. Win 10.  Shortly thereafter I "upgraded" it to Win 11 and thought it might have been the cause of my problem.

About that time I started to become aware that while in the process of setting up for and  running a "Stackshot" photo run, somewhere in the process I would get the message "Connection lost."  I thought the time length was quite random at the time.  The EOS Utility screen would freeze up and I would have to disconnect the USB cable to the camera and start all over again.  I checked for things like loose connections, bad USB cable, camera AC adapter problems in the meantime to no avail.   Shadowsports above informed me EOS Utility did no support Win 11 yet.  So, I opted to go back to my old Win7 PC in the interim hoping Canon would release a Win 11 version in a few months.  Well, it turned out I continued to have the same "Lost Connection" problem w. Windows 7!  I lived with it and just tolerated the problem for several months. 

I finally checked Canon's EOS Utility updates and as of two or three weeks ago there was no Win 11 update but there was a Win10 update ( EOS Utility 3.15.0 for Windows) in late Feb. So, I decided to try it and clean out old download leftovers on the PC.  I was puzzled that when I went to upload it, it said "Windows 10 detected."  even though I had upgraded to 11.  Anyway, I did the download anyway and....I still get the "connection lost" message.  I started to time how many minutes I would get before disconnect w. the t7.  From the time I would click the remote shooting button till the disconnect was invariably in the 7-9 minute period. I just sat and waited without activating a stacking process.  So, thinking the problem might be with the t7, I switched to an older Canon t3i (had to download EOS Utility 2 for this).  Once again, I got the "Lost connection" message this time in a 12-14 minute period.  My last attempt to determine a cause was to try to rule out some kind of current modulation effect caused by the use of an AC adapter (t3i using an ACK-E8).  So, I charged up the t3i battery and tried again.  Once again: "Connection lost" occurred at about 14 minutes.

I am at a total loss and may just be condemned to live with the problem. Regardless of which hardware I opt for, the result is the same. I experienced it even with Win 7   Why there is a slight time difference to the time-of-disconnect is puzzling. I've tried every variable I can and am left with the question: Is it still the EOS software? Why does the Canon website detect Win 10 when I supposedly have 11?  Why after all this time is there yet no Win 11 version?  I'm beginnng to wonder if there were one, would it make any difference???!!!

Announcements