cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Utility 2 fails to recognize Rebel 4Ti

Canyon_Hiker
Contributor

When I plug in and turn on my camera the computer chimes that it recognized it.  But "Starts to download images" and other options are grayed out on the main window except "Monitor Folder".  I have tried four USB cables; reinstalled the Utility; installed version 2.14.20a of the updater; installed latest firmware version.  

8 REPLIES 8

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Canyon_Hiker,

Since a different USB cable and re-installing EOS Utility 2 didn't resolve the issue the next step would be to try installing EOS Utility 2 on a different computer to see if the same thing happens.

If the same thing happens on a different computer that indicates there is an issue with the camera. If EOS Utility 2 recognizes the camera on a different computer that indicates the issue is with operating system settings on the first computer you tried. In that case we would recommend contacting the maker of your operating system to trouble shoot the settings. 

If EOS Utility 2 isn't recognizing the camera on multiple computers we would normally recommend sending the camera in for repair, but the EOS Rebel T4i is out of service life. Due to that there are no repair options available for it through Canon. In that case the only option for that model available through Canon would be the Canon Upgrade Program.

This program allows you to replace your current camera with a new or refurbished Canon camera for a discounted price and have it shipped via ground delivery. The cameras offered through this program carry a one year warranty.  The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided. If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern time Monday through Saturday. Let them know you have been working with email technical support and that the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.  Be sure to have your serial number for your camera at the time of your call.

I installed the EOS Utility 1.0 on my wife's computer, then used euw2.14.20a-updater.exe to make it EOS Utility 2.  It still fails to recognize the camera.  I called about the Canon Upgrade Program, which only offers 15% off a new body or 10% off refurbished.

I wanted to get my 2500+ images from a long trip to Alaska onto my computer.  So I put the SD card into her PC and copied them via our network onto my computer.  Then I imported them all into Lightroom, and used renaming to keep them in my normal sequence convention.

If you are happy with the camera an external card reader is an easier solution.

I never plug in my camera for download (even though it is recognized); I just copy the camera files to the desired folder. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you for your replies.  Renaming was not real convenient but I did it because I want to keep my existing numbering sequence.  I could do it in mass with Lightroom but not all at once because of the renaming options that Lightroom allowed.  The camera named the latest  something like Img_6348.  My latest photo is now 73406.  

I use Canon DPP4 for renaming my files. Very customizable.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Canyon_Hiker
Contributor

Thank you, Hazel, for the quick response. Tomorrow I will try installing the software on my wife's computer.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Does the camera show up in the Devices and Printers Control Panel?

When you open This PC do you see the camera as a disk drive?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Canyon_Hiker
Contributor

No, even though when I plug in and turn on my camera the computer chimes.

Announcements