cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any image editing software from Canon for MAC system?

kakoli
Contributor

Canon gives Zoombrowser for Windows. I was using it for light editing and adding comments to jpg images.

What is the equivalent tool for MAC? I am on Mac BigSur 11.5

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Some of my image processing workflow is because I am very old and set in my ways. So, it might not be good for others. For example, I still use ksh as my login shell on macOS because I have been using it on Unix and Linux since 1987.

I usually use Canon DPP on my iMac, but sometimes rawtherapee on my Debian Linux machine.

After processing the raw file, if I plan to edit the image in another program, I will save it as a 16 bit TIFF, else I will save it from Canon DPP as a JPG at quality 10 and sometimes also at quality 8 or 9 to get a smaller file. I save a dr4 recipe file from Canon DPP and can use exiftool to read the dr4 file later and see what edits I have done.

Then I will use exiftool to add a description and some other metadata to any JPG, TIF, or HIF files I have created. I also add copyright and location information. I copy the makernotes from the CR3 file because Canon DPP does not copy all of the makernotes.

exiftool -imagesize -datetimeoriginal -description IMG_0404c*.[JTH]?? 
exiftool -"description=Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) in Norman, Oklahoma, United States on June 15, 2024" IMG_0404c*.[JTH]?? 
exiftool -sep ", " -"keywords=bird, cardinal, Northern Cardinal, Cardinalis cardinalis, wildlife, wildlife photography, Oklahoma, photography" IMG_0404c*.[JTH]?? 
exiftool -Xmp:LicensorURL='https://www.rsok.com/copyright.html' -Xmp:LocationShownProvinceState='Oklahoma' -Xmp:LocationShownCountryName='United States' -State='Oklahoma' -Xmp:LocationShownCity='Norman' -Country='United States' -City='Norman' -copyrightnotice='Copyright John Moyer, all rights reserved.'  -copyright='Copyright John Moyer, all rights reserved.' IMG_0404c*.[JTH]?? 
exiftool -tagsfromfile /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100CANON/IMG_0404.CR3 -makernotes IMG_0404c*.[JTH]??

Then on my Debian machine I use a graphicsmagick command line to resize the image smaller and add a frame with a caption and then put it on my web server https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/2024Jun17_birds_and_cats/2024jun15_cardinal_IMG_0404c.html 

On your mac, "exiftool -description -datetimeoriginal *.jpg" will print to the terminal for each jpg file the description and the time the photo was made if the camera recorded the time correctly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

@kakoli wrote:

In DPP, none of the Exif/XMP fields looks editable. Really incredible that they have overlooked this simple feature.

By adding comment in cmd line tool Exiftool, does the comment show up in DPP?

In DPP, exif comment is blank because I have not put anything there. But the IPTC tab includes some of the information I added. DPP does not correctly handle all of the IPTC and XMP information.

johnrmoyer_1-1718648870391.png

@kakoli wrote:

The 'Comment' in jpg files that I was referring to is shown in the picture below.

CanonZoomBrowser.png

In finder on my iMac when i Ctrl-click and select "Get Info", I see:

johnrmoyer_0-1718648321310.png

click here to view the gallery
Announcements