cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another DPP update 4.12.20.3

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I checked for a DPP update this morning and found this new version, file date is February but when I checked DPP in mid-March it didn't show up so I guess Canon waited to release it.  The previous version would sometimes slow way down when processing files but only from my 1DX III while the earlier 1DX models and 5DS R weren't affected.  This version seems fine but I haven't had enough chance to use it to see if the delay is really gone for good or if anything else significant has changed.

It shows the release date as April 7 and the only listed changes are the support of a couple of additional cameras (T8i, EOS 850D) but given the performance some other tweaks have been done.  It is interesting that DPP now recommends a Core I7 processor with any of the i series as the minimum when using with the 1DX III so obviously those files put a heavier load on the CPU, Core 2 duo are listed as acceptable with any of the other bodies.  I am using a workstation with dual Xeon (workstation equivalent to the I7 series) 8 core processors and the files from the 1DX III are obviously a heavier load than the other 1DX family and 5DS R that I own.  It will be interesting if the newer mirrorless offerings add this same sort of processor load.  GPU utilization is still low but at least the later version of DPP are loading both processors fairly heavily during digital lens correction unlike earlier versions of the software.

After several hours of operation, I don't believe this update has the memory leak of some earlier versions.  I have 128GB per processor installed in the workstation so there was never an issue with it running low on memory but two versions ago DPP had a severe memory leak and it would grow to over 5 gigs of memory usage and slow down even though only a small fraction of the machine memory was being utilized.  I have the full Adobe suite but for a lot of fast work DPP does a great job and even when I use Adobe I do the initial RAW conversion to TIF within DPP which has an excellent RAW converter and seems to do a better job than third party in extracting detail at higher ISO.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Gee, I updated within the past couple of weeks, but I find that I've got only 4.12.10.2. Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm tempted to speculate that Canon didn't bother to list the newer version on the 5D4's page, which is where I must have looked for updates.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Wadizzle and Robert,

You guys are welcome.  I really wish Canon did a better job of both notifying us of DPP updates AND specifying in more detail what has been changed.

But it could be worse. If it was Microsoft, they would force an update in the middle of a post-process session causing a crash and loss of images 🙂

So far the new version is behaving itself very well!

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

It's not automatic, but if you are using DPP and select Help you can check for updates.

Annotation 2020-04-10 123545.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

JR, that is what I do and I tend to check every couple of weeks OR when DPP does something really annoying. 

Automatic reminders are nice except I really get tired of the frequent reminders from Apple to update their software on my Windows PC so the automatic reminders can be a pain also.

Rodger

click here to view the gallery
Announcements