cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark III Battery power and charging issues

TomRyan
Apprentice

Hi Canon community: New to community. Appreciate any help.

I purchased the camera new, used it briefly and placed it in a Pelican case along with lenses for the last few years.

Not surprising the battery is dead and did not seem to charge; rapid blinking. I have a LC-E6 charger and LP-E6 battery.

Best Buy sold me a new battery; LP-E6NH. Tried charging with the LC-E6 but do not believe it charged. Inserted but nothing.

Retried the LP-E6 and the camera energized. What am I doing wrong? Is the LP-E6NH compatible with the camera and the charger? Are LP-E6 batteries still available? Guidance?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Tom,

In researching your question, it seems that Canon has discontinued the LP-E6 battery and has replaced it with the LP-E6NH. That's why Best Buy sold you that model. It's said that the NH is backward compatible, so it should work in your camera, and it's said that your current charger will charge the newer LP-E6NH battery.

I think I would call Canon Support and ask them if this is true for your Model 5D MarkIII. If not, they may have a recommendation for you.

Steve Thomas 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Tom,

In researching your question, it seems that Canon has discontinued the LP-E6 battery and has replaced it with the LP-E6NH. That's why Best Buy sold you that model. It's said that the NH is backward compatible, so it should work in your camera, and it's said that your current charger will charge the newer LP-E6NH battery.

I think I would call Canon Support and ask them if this is true for your Model 5D MarkIII. If not, they may have a recommendation for you.

Steve Thomas 

You're correct. All batteries in the LP-E6 family are backward compatible (and somewhat forward compatible).

click here to view the gallery
Announcements