cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Canon R50 supply PlugIn power to external 3.5mm microphones? The Answer is No.

DonCudney
Apprentice

All microphones require power and that power can be provided by the cameras (plugin for 3.5mm and phantom for XLR) or the microphone itself (usually AA). I'm not a Canon Representative, but I'm pretty sure Canon has never created a stills camera that supplies plugin power through the 3.5mm port. The new R series appears to supply power through the new Canon proprietary hotshoe.

My advice? Record sound separately with a quality XLR microphone and a quality recorder/mixer then sync in post because despite what so many consumer pros believe there are no good 3.5mm microphones - only ones that suffice.

1 REPLY 1

Gail207Martinez
Apprentice

Hello!

When it comes to microphones, there are three main power sources. XLR microphones often rely on phantom power (48 volts), while battery-powered mics (usually AA) are portable but not ideal for extended use. The 3.5mm port on cameras can provide a small amount of power, but most 3.5mm mics are self-powered. Canon’s new R series features a proprietary hotshoe that supplies power and enables communication with accessories. For top-notch audio quality, consider using quality XLR mics paired with a good recorder/mixer. Happy recording!

Best Regards,

<Third party link removed per Community guidelines.>

Announcements