cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 won't recognize ZR85 Camcorder to copy Mini DV tapes to computer

zephyr424
Contributor

Hi. My Windows 10 pc won't recognize my ZR85 camcorder. The camcorder has an ifc-300pcu cable included in the box. The "port" on the camera is listed simply as a "USB Terminal" in the manual. One end of the cable plugs into the computer's USB port, while the other end looks proprietary Canon. The manual also says this cable gives the ability to "download images from a memory card to a computer". So it appears it was never meant to transfer the Mini DV tapes to a computer. Is that correct? If not, how would I go about transferrring the video to my computer? I know some people do it through a 4 pin firewire cable after installing a firewire card in the computer's pci slot, but the only port on the camera is the one the ifc-300pcu cable connects to. Is that port the same as a firewire 4 pin connector? It doesn't look the same as a firewire port. If not, is there any other way to transfer the Mini DV tape's contents to a Windows 10 computer? Thanks for any help you can provide. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi zephyr424,

Thanks for checking in with us. You will need to use a FireWire 400 cable, also known as IEEE 1394, to download video from the camera. The port on the camera is on the front and lists as a DV terminal.

If your computer does not have a FireWire port you'll need to get an I/O accessory with a FireWire 400 port that can then connect to whatever ports are on your computer. The port on the camera is a 4-pin port, and your computer or I/O device may have a 4-pin or 6-pin FireWire port, so you would then get a FireWire cable that matches the port you're using.

View solution in original post

normadel
Authority
Authority

You have to use Firewire to transfer video to the computer. AND...You need to have software installed to do the transfer. That's a whole other problem. Windows XP was the last Windows that included video download & editing capability. Microsoft offered the free Windows Essentials 2012 suite that included an app called "Photo Gallery and Movie Maker" which did Firewire video transfer and editing for Win 7 & 10 (along with some other handy utilities), but stopped offering it in 2017.  Not sure if it can be (safely) found on the Web.  I have a copy of it that I had the forethought to save years ago.  Works nicely in 7 & 10. If you private-message me we can figure out how to get it to you.

You might also find someone with a Windows XP computer you can use.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi zephyr424,

Thanks for checking in with us. You will need to use a FireWire 400 cable, also known as IEEE 1394, to download video from the camera. The port on the camera is on the front and lists as a DV terminal.

If your computer does not have a FireWire port you'll need to get an I/O accessory with a FireWire 400 port that can then connect to whatever ports are on your computer. The port on the camera is a 4-pin port, and your computer or I/O device may have a 4-pin or 6-pin FireWire port, so you would then get a FireWire cable that matches the port you're using.

Nick,

As mentioned, the ZR85 camcorder's port doesn't appear to be compatible with a 4 pin firewire connector such as the Firewire 400 has. The connector on the ifc-pcu300 cable looks like it's a canon proprietary connector, and is wider on top, shorter on bottom . Here is a picture which shows the differences.canon ifc-300pcu connector compared to firewire 400 connectorcanon ifc-300pcu connector compared to firewire 400 connector

normadel
Authority
Authority

You have to use Firewire to transfer video to the computer. AND...You need to have software installed to do the transfer. That's a whole other problem. Windows XP was the last Windows that included video download & editing capability. Microsoft offered the free Windows Essentials 2012 suite that included an app called "Photo Gallery and Movie Maker" which did Firewire video transfer and editing for Win 7 & 10 (along with some other handy utilities), but stopped offering it in 2017.  Not sure if it can be (safely) found on the Web.  I have a copy of it that I had the forethought to save years ago.  Works nicely in 7 & 10. If you private-message me we can figure out how to get it to you.

You might also find someone with a Windows XP computer you can use.

Norma,

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look for it and get back with you if I'm unable. If you also know which cable connects to the canon zr85 port and can transfer the mini dv's video, please let me know.

The camera has a Firewire 4-pin connector.Cable would be 4 pin to 4 pin or 8 pin depending on the computer's Firewire port.

Not to beat a dead horse, but if you look at the picture I uploaded, the firewire cable's connector on amazon has a square shape with a slight u on one side. The canon connector is like a T, wide on one side, less wide on the other. Definitely not a square. Take a closer look at the picture. They are two different shapes and don't look to be compatible. 

Your photo shows three pictures of a Firewire 400 4-pin connector, and a finger on a USB Mini-B connector.

The USB Mini-B connection on the camera can only be used for downloading still photos. If you have the camera manual, read it. If you don't, here it is:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/camcorders/support-minidv-camcorde...

The picture shows 3 images of a firewire connector on Amazon.com (the 3rd being an enlarged image of the connector by placing the mouse pointer on one of the images) and my Z85 camcorder which has a USB Mini-B port, plus the Z85's ifc-300pcu cable's USB Mini-B connector. (Try holding a camcorder's cable connector next to it's port and taking a picture of a webpage with your phone) Thank you for telling me that it is a USB Mini-B connector. That's the first bit of information learned so far, as was already mentioned in the first post the manual calls the camcorder's port a USB Terminal which is not enough information.

I  already mentioned in my first post the manual stated it can only download images. So the camera doesn’t have a firewire port, it seems. Is that true? Back to the original question of how can i connect the camera to a computer to copy the mini dv tape video to my windows 10 computer if it only has a USB Mini-B port on the camera? Thanks 

Never mind guys. Apparently there is a cover I wasn't aware of on the front of the camera which has the firewire port. Thank you all very much!

Announcements