cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia HF R62 importing to iMovie

niskstrobel
Apprentice

Trying to import AVCHD movies on the internal memory of Vixia HF R62 into iMovie 10.1 on Mac running Yosemite. The camera appears in the list of devices of the import window but none of the clips in the internal memory appear. When I click the "import all" button in iMovie, the import window disappears and the camera doesn't appear to be doing anything. Is there something else I'm supposed to do to get the videos to import into iMovie?

5 REPLIES 5

niskstrobel
Apprentice

I can see MP4 movies in iMovie but not the AVCHD files. Any Canon tech support out there viewing these messages?

Hi niskstrobel!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your inquiry! We do hope someone in the community is able to assist. The Forums aren't meant for immediate assistance, but are designed to allow the community to help each other with issues encountered or tips they'd like to share along the way.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is a much more efficient way to get help! They're ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

We hope this helps!

VideoGeek
Mentor

Does the camera show up in Finder?  If it does and it appears as an external drive then you may be able to copy the clips from the internal memory of the camcorder.  I will, tomorrow (Thursday), try to import AVCHD files into iMovie and let you know how it goes. 

The camera does NOT appear in Finder. Only iPhoto and iMovie recognize it. iPhoto is looking for any still images recorded on the camera drive. iMovie finds just the MP4 movies. With the Sony camcorder I had for a month, there was software I could use to download and convert the AVCHD movies into a form that iMovie could use. The iMovie supported cameras list includes the Vixia HF R62 camera with both MP4 and AVCHD formats as ones it can read. Well, the AVCHD does not work for my iMovie version 10.1. Sigh!

I know this is a bit late in coming but I finally recorded some video to the internal memory of a VIXIA HF-G20.  After having posted in this thread I wondered whether or not I would be able to retrieve the AVCHD file from the camcorder's internal memory.  I plugged the USB cable into the camcorder and then into a USB port on my MacBook Pro (late 2011 running Yosemite) and then powered on the camera.  It took maybe, at most, 30 seconds for the camcorder to show up as three drives in Finder.  That is one for each SD card slot and one for the internal memory.  After figuring out which one was the internal memory I was able to copy the file to a hard drive.  I am able to play the file with QuickTime.  However, I have yet to try the file in iMovie. 

Have you ever found a solution to the problem you are having with the AVCHD files?

Announcements