cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MVX4i can't transfer videos in WIn7

psy_boy2720
Contributor

Hi Canon Forum.

I know this is a replay to a non related thread, but since it was not possible to make a new thread, I have to do it this way.

I have a serious connection problem with my MVX4i Canon Camcorder.

First my hardware:

O/S: Win7 64bit

What happens:

I've installed the drivers but I keep getting the error "cannot detect camera".

In my device manager it claims that the drivers cannot be installed and even though I manually search for them (on the installation CD or the installation directory) it refuses to install them.

What I have tried:

I've tried using different USB ports - no luck

Used different USB cables - no luck

Tried uninstalling EVERYTHING, disconnecting camcorder and installed drivers again - no luck

I've tried drivers from your website instead of the CD - no luck.

What in gods name can I do to get my PC to connect with my camcorder??

5 REPLIES 5

VideoGeek
Mentor

Just out of curiosity, what drivers from the web site are you using?  Is the camera set to the Play (VCR) mode when you connect the camcorder? 

Skipping step 1 which is to turn on your computer, you may need to try the following if you have not already done so:

2. Set the camcorder to Play (VCR) mode.

3. When using a USB cable:

Press the MENU button and select [VCR SETUP]. Select [AV -> DV/(USB Symbol)], set it to [OFF] and press the MENU button.

4. Connect the camcorder to the computer using the USB cable.

Forgive me if these are things you have already tried. 

Hi Videogeek.

I'm sorry in advance if the following sounds rude.

The instructions you suggested are the absolute basics of the user manual and among of the first things I've tested.

Even though I don't understand why the setting "AV-USB" should be turned off, I did it anyways.

I've tested the camcorder on a computer with WIn XP and it works fine there.

Your reply was not rude at all.  Hopefully someone from Canon or another owner of that camcorder model will be able to help.  I don't own a Canon that uses tapes and the camcorders that I do have that use tape connect via a Firewire connection.  If I come across anything that will be useful then I will post a reply.

That is very nice of you.

The reason i want to connect the camcorder, is soley to transfer my old MiniDV tapes to my computer.

I'm not sure this will help but you could try uninstalling the USB Controller drivers and after a shut down or restart the drivers will reinstall. 

From the Microsoft site:

Method 3-

I would have you re-install the USB controllers.

Refer the steps-

a)   Click Start, then type device manager in the Search box, and then click Device Manager.

b)   Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers. Right click a device and click Uninstall. Repeat for each device.

c)   Once complete, restart your computer. The USB controllers will automatically install.

If it is a device driver that is needed then hopefully someone from Canon will respond and point you in the right direction.

I don't know if anything from this Canon page will help or not but it may be worth looking at if you haven't done so already.

Announcements