cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LEGRIA HF G70 4K output via HDMI

Walker01
Apprentice

Any help answering this question from a Canon G70 owner would be appreciated. I am considering purchasing one and checked on their website whether the camcorder can output 4K via HDMI. Under specs, it says that the camera can output both UHD and FHD, however, both categories feature 1080p with no 4K in sight. 

Does the camera not have the ability to output 4K through HDMI?

https://www.canon-europe.com/video-cameras/legria-hf-g70/specifications/ 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

It will depend upon if you're recording or just doing playback.  When recording, the answer is no (see possible video output configurations on page 97 in the User Manual.)

However, if you are playing video back, then it is possible to output UHD 4K over HDMI.  See page 98.

I would suspect that if you choose to work with an external recorder, you could have it capture UHD 4K over HDMI.  I believe the limit here is the G70 itself.  It lacks the horsepower and/or hardware to both internally record and send out a UHD 4K signal over HDMI.

Note: I'm using the more specific term of "UHD 4K" here since that is the 4K variant that the G70 can work with (3840 x 2160).  If you need DCI 4K (4096 x 2160), you'd need to look to Canon's cinema cameras.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

It will depend upon if you're recording or just doing playback.  When recording, the answer is no (see possible video output configurations on page 97 in the User Manual.)

However, if you are playing video back, then it is possible to output UHD 4K over HDMI.  See page 98.

I would suspect that if you choose to work with an external recorder, you could have it capture UHD 4K over HDMI.  I believe the limit here is the G70 itself.  It lacks the horsepower and/or hardware to both internally record and send out a UHD 4K signal over HDMI.

Note: I'm using the more specific term of "UHD 4K" here since that is the 4K variant that the G70 can work with (3840 x 2160).  If you need DCI 4K (4096 x 2160), you'd need to look to Canon's cinema cameras.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements