cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HF-R800 Camcorder.. Memory Card.. USH-1 OK (!?)

dancanon800
Apprentice

Hello,  I'm using a 'like new' (open box) Canon HF R800 Camcorder..

The memory card package is pictured below, Sandisk Ultra-  64gb SDXC UHS-1

I initialised the card as directed.

The camera recognises the card, at least while it is still working properly.

I am having what I believe is an unrelated issue.. the screen freezes, and I'm returning/exchanging the unit as defective..

I did see somewhere, in this forum,  after purchasing this memory card, that UHS-1 specification is not adviseable with this Camcorder, but the post was from more than two years ago.

Is it OK, or not OK to use the UHS-1 specification?

The screen freezing-up is a "TASK IN PROGRESS" error issue, and as I mention, I do not believe it is related to the card.
(The body of the camcorder heats-up, and the whole camera freezes, so that does not seem card related to me.

So is the UHS-1 ok?  It's the best card I could find, and Canon says nothing about not using UHS-1 cards..

Has the problem been corrected?

Thanks, any educated input greatly appreciated.

Canon Sandisk Memory Card 001.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hey there,

Your UHS-I card should function properly with the Vixia R800, but the camcorder will not utilize that higher speed UHS-I technology built into the card. This doesn't mean that the card will perform worse than another card, just that the camcorder does not record as fast as the card is capable of handling. When your replacement camcorder arrives you should not have any problem with this memory card. Enjoy!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hey there,

Your UHS-I card should function properly with the Vixia R800, but the camcorder will not utilize that higher speed UHS-I technology built into the card. This doesn't mean that the card will perform worse than another card, just that the camcorder does not record as fast as the card is capable of handling. When your replacement camcorder arrives you should not have any problem with this memory card. Enjoy!

Hello Mark35, and thank you for your comprehensive reply.. 

Waiting on the replacement (new) unit now.. Good to know about the USH 1 compatibility and also good to understand the card and its capabilities.

Again, I appreciate the educated reply!  dc

Announcements