cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX10 & G40: Cannot connect to an wifi access point

dennydeutscher
Contributor

Hi, 

on my G40 I was always wondering why the camera wasn't connecting to my wifi network. Ever thought it was a bugged firmware or so. 

Today I got my GX10 and the problem is exactly the same. conencting directly to the camera works... but if I want to connect the camera to various wifi networks (tried many kinds of names and security settings) nothings gonna happen. It seems it's not even try to connect (connection profile is set properly).

Is there a magic button that I have to push to finally connect the camera? Or is canon maintaining this bug since the G40?

Thanks, Denny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

From the the GX10 Manual:

GX10 Network Functions.PNG

Yes, I agree that is rather limiting, but it's good that you appear to have found a workaround. I just thought others might be interested in how you did it. 

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

From the the GX10 Manual:

GX10 Network Functions.PNG

Yes, I agree that is rather limiting, but it's good that you appear to have found a workaround. I just thought others might be interested in how you did it. 

Sorry I'm too shy to make videos 😅 except of that I find it more useful to have text how-tos because.... reasons:

So, here's the how-to:

1) get you an AP Client like the TP-Link WR902AC (the WR902AC is a device that acts like a Wi-Fi client)
2) turn on the camera's internal Wi-Fi and remote function with a profile set like this:
- set a manual IP corresponding to your network's IP range take care the IP is not in the DHCP range of your router.

- set a SSID and a passphrase
- you can edit the default profile too as I did.
- if you're not sure if there's a free IP make a PING test of the desired IP
3) login to the WR902AC web interface and connect it to the camera's SSID.
4) connect the WR902AC's network port to your network.
5) You can now reach the camera's web site and control it from any device of you network over the IP that you manually set in the camera's profile.

END

---

About the manual:

I'm ashamed that I didn't see it as I look through but it's there 🤯 So... never mind!

No need to be ashamed. You figured out how to do it, which is brilliant. Unfortunately I can't try it with my HF-G40 because its not possible to manually configure the in-camera access point IP address.

Announcements