cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon hfg30 Can I use Spotlight setting with Auto setting

RosieZak
Contributor
I shoot a lot of stage shows (musicals, plays, etc.) I was shooting with the GL2 but now have Canon Vixia HF G30. With the GL2 I used the "Spotlight" setting while on Auto so the faces of performers wouldn't white-out. How would get the Vixia HF G30 to do same thing? Can I use its "Spotlight" setting while in MP4 "Auto mode?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RosieZak,

I only mentioned touching the Portrait setting in the menu because that is what it is set to by default.  In this case, you will be changing that over to the Spotlight setting.  In order to use the Spotlight setting, the camcorder must be set to the Manual mode.  You do not have to manually set exposure settings if you do not want to.  Even in the Manual mode, automatic exposure can still be used.  If you set the camcorder to Auto, it chooses most settings on its own, so the Spotlight setting cannot be specifically used.  There is still a good chance the camcorder will make the appropriate adjustments for the scene that you are looking for, so you can definitely try shooting in Auto if that will work better for you.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mykolas
Authority

Hi RosieZak!

Thank you for posting and welcome.

There is a Spotlight scene setting you can use on the VIXIA HF G30 while the camera is set to the Manual mode.  This is not available in Auto mode.

1. Touch [FUNC.] > [Rec. Programs] > [Portrait].
  2. Select [Spotlight].

Spotlight can be use while shooting both AVCHD and MP4.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I need to use spotlight in landscape mode rather than portrait. I shoot a lot of stage shows with their bright stage lighting, so I need to use spotlight mode using the wider angle. With my GL2 if I didn't use the spotlight feature the persons on stage faces would wash (white) out. I understand however that the Vixia HF G30 has a "Smart Auto" mode that automatically may adjust exposure,, lighting etc. and that may accomplish the same purpose to solve the faces washing ( whiting out. Please reply!

RosieZak,

I only mentioned touching the Portrait setting in the menu because that is what it is set to by default.  In this case, you will be changing that over to the Spotlight setting.  In order to use the Spotlight setting, the camcorder must be set to the Manual mode.  You do not have to manually set exposure settings if you do not want to.  Even in the Manual mode, automatic exposure can still be used.  If you set the camcorder to Auto, it chooses most settings on its own, so the Spotlight setting cannot be specifically used.  There is still a good chance the camcorder will make the appropriate adjustments for the scene that you are looking for, so you can definitely try shooting in Auto if that will work better for you.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements