cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon VIXIA HF R80 - Rattling Noise

jhullin
Apprentice

My Canon VIXIA HF R80 exhibits a rattling or clicking sound. The noise is picked up by the microphone in recordings. I tried turning off IS but that didn't seem to help--besides, should I need to do that? Is this expected, or do I have a defective product?

Customer support is closed for the weekend, but I'll certainly reach out to them when I'm able. In the meantime, does the community have ideas?

Test footage here: https://youtu.be/VK0EEayua54

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Does the noise also occur when the unit is turned off? i.e. could there be a loose part somewhere?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Simply holding it while off there's nothing. But yes, it rattles when I give it a gentle shake. I took film of that using my phone and posted it below. Does this mean these noises are not typical?

https://youtu.be/htvSGrk-3g0

Interesting.  I just tried with my Vixia HF G50 (also off) and tipping it forwards, I heard an internal tapping sound.  Tipping it backwards, again.  It's almost as if something inside the camera is sliding a bit back and forth.

At first, I thought it may be something in the lens hood, or external mic.  But detaching those still revealed the sound.

However, if I then turn the unit on, tipping forwards/backwards generates no sound (nothing moving internally).  My guess is that when the lens isn't powered on, that some parts are allowed to move?

Having said all that, if I twist from side-to-side with the cam off as in your second video, I hear nothing.

Thus, it's difficult to say.   We definitely have different cams, but when your unit is on, and you find it making rattling sounds, that's probably revealing an issue.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements