cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon VIXIA HF G40 won't connect to computer

ashleyberner
Apprentice

I just got a brand new Canon VIXIA HF G40. In order to set up the wifi, I first need to connect the camera to my computer via a USB firewire, and use their program Camera Window.

My issue is, when I connect my camera, it connects for about ten seconds and then says it's disconnected. It only connects (meaning it pops up on device manager) when I have the camera on camera mode. When I have it in playback (media) mode, I can open the SD card via the USB firewire cable.

I have tried two other computers, and a different wire. I have done this while both plugged into to a power source. Same issue. 

I should also add that the laptops I'm trying are new, with one being a top of the line ASUS. 

I have been back and forth with Canon support, and need to find the time to call when they are available. But I'm hoping someone out there has had this issue and can offer advice?

6 REPLIES 6

Crista
Whiz

Hi ashleyberner! 

Thanks for joining and posting in the Canon Forums! 

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what operating system you are using. 

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team can help HERE

Thanks!

I am using Windows 10 Home.

ashleyberner
Apprentice

Anyone else having an issue with this, I finally contacted Canon support via the phone. The camera cannot transfer videos via wifi to a laptop or computer. Only through an app, to a smartphone or tablet. 

If you are trying to get videos and pictures from WiFi to your laptop or computer, you have to turn the camera on to media mode, it will not work when the camera is on and able to take videos and pictures. 

What App do you use for Android?

Are you using it for playback?

Announcements