cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not take photo while filming on the Vixia GX10

Tony_1
Contributor

So when I try to take a picture while filming I see the red icon.  It works when I am not filming.  No matter what sd card I use and I use the SanDisk pro cards.  It works on my G40 on the same cards. Please advise. I am using the current firmware.

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The icon with the circle and slash?  In viewing the manual, that will show up when there's a problem with the SD card.  What specific cards are you using (make note of the card's V-rating such as V30)?  And what video settings are you using?

If the SD card has a low sustained write speed and the video you're recording is taking up most/all of that bandwidth, that could be the reason why photos cannot be recorded.

Have you formatted the cards prior to capturing your footage/photos?  If a card wasn't formatted in a while it could have a lot of fragmentation which would lead to slower write speeds.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

It's a Sandisk Extreme Pro, 512g, SDXC v30200 MB UHS-1, class 10, UHS speed 3, I always initialize all SD cards and this is brand new. They all are when I use them on my camera.sandisk512.jpg

That should be enough speed.  A V30 card can sustain 240 Mbps bitrates.  At 4K, your cam requires 150 Mbps.  Though there could be other factors still in play.  e.g. maybe speeds are being affected due to heat?

Have you tried recording HD footage and seeing if photos can be taken at the same time? 

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Tony_1
Contributor

Nope. Not heat. The high temp icon is not on.  Also, HD does the same thing.  I wonder if it has to do with this being a refurb?

Announcements