cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camcorder dropped, won't turn on

JimmyCheedle
Apprentice

I have a Canon Vixia HF20 camcorder which I recently dropped on the floor and now it won't turn on. I don't care much about saving the camcorder but there are some pictures and videos still on the camcorder's hard drive that I would like to back up before I think about chucking it. Is there a way that I can open up the camcorder and access the hard drive inside or am I out of luck? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

There's no hard drive in the unit; it uses internal flash (solid state) for storage.  My guess is that the flash is soldered onto the motherboard.

Have you tried attaching the camcorder to an AC power adpater as well as trying a battery?

Do evaluate the "cost" of the footage.  If important enough, definitely consider sending in the unit for repair.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks for the response. I have tried both the battery and the adapter to no avail. Would it still be possible to get this camcorder repaired? It's over 10 years old.

I'm not sure; you'd have to call Canon to find out.   Canon's phone number page lists 1-800-652-2666 as the number to call for support with the Vixia line.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements