cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't wirelessly connect MG5750 to Laptop

MartinDunn37
Contributor

Hi all

I'm in the process of connecting my new printer to my WiFi, laptop, etc.

I've managed to connect the printer to the WiFi fine, but can't get the laptop to find the printer on the network to allow me to print. When I run the install software, it says it's finished but then fails to detect the printer at the end of the process.

• They're definitely on the same network - checked the LAN settings on the printer.
  • I can get the printer to work fine with a USB connection, so all the software is installed ok
  • I'm running Windows 10 and it's a Plusnet router

Incidentally the Plusnet Hub Manager does show the printer as being connected to the network, but calls it 'Unknown-74-bf-c0-38-ae-5b' rather than anything more meaningful. Don't know if that's connected.

Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious? Any ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance

Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MartinDunn37
Contributor

Not sure anyone still listening, but I solved this in my case at least. Related to a problem with the router using dual bandwidths. I'll give details if anyone needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MartinDunn37
Contributor

Not sure anyone still listening, but I solved this in my case at least. Related to a problem with the router using dual bandwidths. I'll give details if anyone needs.

I am having a similar problem with an MG5520 and my Dell desktop running windows 110. any thoughts??

Hi msmwinter,

Is your MG5520 not detected when trying to print or are you trying to connect the printer to a new or existing network?

Just to expand upon my own solution, I found that when I linked my printer and my laptop to my mobile phone's personal WiFi hotspot, on mobile internet, the printer worked fine. From that, figured there must be a problem with the router, not the laptop or the printer. Backed this up by printing succesfully via USB - again no router involved. Worth a check.

If that does happen, what I found was that my router runs at 2 different bandwidths - either 2.4G or 5G. I think the 2 devices were both linked to the router but on different bandwidths. I went into the router settings via the hub homepage and changed the bandwidth settings to manual. I then manually set both devices to the 2.4G bandwidth and the printer immediately started working over the WiFi.

I am absolutely no expert so it's possible something I did sparked something else to make things happy again, but as I said it's worth a try. Good luck.

Announcements