cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yongnuo YN14EX II Macro Ring Flash

normadel
Authority
Authority

Does anyone out there own one of these? I give up on Yongnuo or B&H for an answer:

This flash's control unit looks like a regular flash with a swivel head on it. Is the YN14EX II's "head" (the part where the cord is attached) swivellable? I don't why it would be something useful but maybe there could be a reason. The previous version of this flash had a control unit like all others....no separate "thing" on top.

I'm going through decision-making on a ringlite purchase. This one looks very much like the Canon MR-14 EX II, at less than a quarter of the price.

1.JPG

[Commercial link removed per forum guidelines and replaced with screenshot to facilitate discussion.]

9 REPLIES 9

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The “Head” does not have a flash tube, so there is no need for it to tilt or swivel. They used the same type of design, but the light only comes from the ring, and not the head. The head has a red cover plate where the flash tube would be.

FECE4A28-8E0E-44E6-80C7-B5B9DDEB32C6.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

I KNOW there's no flashtube in the "head". That's why I wonder why it is there at all.

@normadelwrote:

I KNOW there's no flashtube in the "head". That's why I wonder why it is there at all.

They seem to have replaced the flash tube with an extension cord to the ring assembly.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You're not getting me. One more time. The question is: Why does this flash even HAVE the head, and does it swivel? On regular flashes, the head tilts and swivels. On all other macro flashes, there is no need for a head at all. The cord goes directly into the headless control unit (as the previous Yongnuo did).

If you don't have one of these latest-model Yongnuos, you're just guessing.

We are all just guessing. The only people who know are Yongnuo Engineering. I would guess it just makes it cheaper to make. Why not take an existing flash, change as little as possible, and add a high voltage extension cord to the macro tube? Especially since the macro flash probably sells at about a tenth of the volume of a regular flash.

@normadelwrote:

You're not getting me. One more time. The question is: Why does this flash even HAVE the head, and does it swivel? On regular flashes, the head tilts and swivels. On all other macro flashes, there is no need for a head at all. The cord goes directly into the headless control unit (as the previous Yongnuo did).

If you don't have one of these latest-model Yongnuos, you're just guessing.

Mike has already explained it to you.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sorry, no, he didn't answer my question at all.

This is a CANON Community Forum. Not a Yongnuo or whatever other third-party gear you might purchase online or acquire from various other means.

While this gracious community may opt to try to help you with your questions regarding non-Canon equipment, the only thing anyone is required to do in these Forums is to be civil. A very quick review of your posts shows you are often not that. This is your first and last warning. This community is a safe space. Feel free to brush up on the Community Guidelines. Any further violations risk a permanent ban.

Have a wonderful day! 😊

normadel
Authority
Authority

Some sense in that. But the previous version DID NOT HAVE THE HEAD ON IT. The cord is not an extension cord.....it is how a camera-top macro flash controller is connected to the flash tubes.

Though Yongnuo does not mention this anywhere, could it be that being able to aim the head directly at remote slave flashes is beneficial? Is Yongnuo on to something that no one else has done? Only they know, but the only contact I find for the company is <service@hkyongnuo.com> which has been less than helpful about info on their product.

Announcements