cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn on flashgun not working

Theoben123
Apprentice
hello I have got a problem with my canon 550ex speedlite when I put the speed lite on hotshot it want late change the settings but when take it off the hotshot it lets me change the setting on the speed lite. The question is the problem my 6d canon or the speed lite?
4 REPLIES 4

Tim
Authority

Theoben123, 

When you have this flash attached to the hotshoe, it is not able to be controlled from the camera menu.  You'd need to be able to change the flash settings on the back of the flash. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@Tim wrote:

Theoben123, 

When you have this flash attached to the hotshoe, it is not able to be controlled from the camera menu.  You'd need to be able to change the flash settings on the back of the flash. 

That sounds backwards and seems inconsistent with the OP's reported symptom.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Try putting the flash on the hot shoe, and turning it on BEFORE you turn on the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tim
Authority

Theoben123, 

To further troubleshoot the issue, we will need clarification as to the exact nature of this issue.  Please reply to these questions so the community can assist.  

Are you saying that when the flash is attached to the camera's hotshoe, you'd like the option of changing flash settings but you're not able to- correct?  If this is the case, the reason is that the Speedlite 550EX is not compatible with the flash function settings found within the camera menu. 

Because, when you take the flash off the camera like you said- you can change the settings. 

Or, are you saying that you cannot change the settings on the flash itself (not via the camera menu) while the unit is attached to the camera's hotshoe? 

Thank you for any additional information you provide. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements