cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite 550EX Battery Recommendation

BML
Contributor

I use a Canon EOS 300D camera and have just bought a Speedlite 550EX flashlight. Looking at the instructions I read one should not use AA lithium batteries so I wondered just what batteries one should use. By the way, is there a Canon dedicated power pack one can use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

normadel
Authority
Authority

Canon and other manufacturers say you should use alkaline batteries or NiMH rechargeables. Canon warns NOT to use lithiums. The problem with lithiums is doing a long continuous sequence can make the batteries dangerously overheat. Lithiums pack more of a wallop energy-wise, while alkalines and NiMH are easier on the flash.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

normadel
Authority
Authority

Canon and other manufacturers say you should use alkaline batteries or NiMH rechargeables. Canon warns NOT to use lithiums. The problem with lithiums is doing a long continuous sequence can make the batteries dangerously overheat. Lithiums pack more of a wallop energy-wise, while alkalines and NiMH are easier on the flash.

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Canon does make the CP-E4N battery pack which is compatible with the 550EX, 580EX, 580EX II, 600EX, 600EX-RT and 600EX II-RT speedlites.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM & EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements