cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-E3-RT visible difference between V1 and V2

DaveGershon
Contributor

Is there any way to see a visible difference between Version 1 and Version 2 of the ST-E3-RT transmitter?  It I see there are some menu names changed in the Version 2 manual.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There is indeed a difference between the information labels on the underside.  

The Version 1 label has this text on the left side: "CMIIT ID: 2011DJ4307", followed by some Japanese characters. The Version 2 label has no such CMIIT ID anywhere on the label.

On both labels, there is a white-bordered box with "2.4 DS2" underscored by three thick white dashes. On the Version 1 label, this box is in the middle. On the Version 2 label, this box is on the left. 

I have both versions of the transmitter; to help me tell them apart at a glance, I used a marker to add a big "V2" on the Version 2 transmitter. That's what you see at the bottom of the second photo.

Larry

Combined labels.jpg

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Version 2 supports wireless rear curtain sync on some newer cameras such as the 1DX Mark III, R5, R6 & EOS M50 Mark II. The camera must have firmware that also supports the speedlite EL-1.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

My guess is there may be something on the information label on the underside of the unit (under the main "Canon" branding).  e.g. a part number difference.  I don't yet own the version 2 transmitter, and online images are not showing images from all angles.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

There is indeed a difference between the information labels on the underside.  

The Version 1 label has this text on the left side: "CMIIT ID: 2011DJ4307", followed by some Japanese characters. The Version 2 label has no such CMIIT ID anywhere on the label.

On both labels, there is a white-bordered box with "2.4 DS2" underscored by three thick white dashes. On the Version 1 label, this box is in the middle. On the Version 2 label, this box is on the left. 

I have both versions of the transmitter; to help me tell them apart at a glance, I used a marker to add a big "V2" on the Version 2 transmitter. That's what you see at the bottom of the second photo.

Larry

Combined labels.jpg

DaveGershon
Contributor

Yes, that is what I have expected.  I have not seen a Ver.2 to verify.  I am looking at buying it for the wireless rear curtain sync.

I would read up on all of the comments about the Canon flashes losing the LINK between the remote and the flash. While I have had no problems with the remote, the flash will lose the link if you have any WiFi hot spots in the area. Buyer beware, I have spent many thousands of dollars on the newest EL-1, only to find out I have to buy Godox remote triggers and receivers.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Speedlite-Flashes/CANON-600EX-RT-SPEEDLITE-drops-link/td-p/368843

And to date (June 5th 2023), over 18643 posts about the flash losing the link to the remote. 

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Speedlite-Flashes/Canon-600EX-II-RT-drops-link-HELP/td-p/334018

DaveGershon
Contributor

Larry43230, Thank you for the photo of the label differences. 

Announcements