cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 and EL-5 Compatibility?…

Chanin
Apprentice

Will there be an adapter to use the new EL-5 Speedlite on an original R6? I know that the original or six does not have the new multi function, hot shoe, but will there be an adapter where I can use the new EL-5 flash on my R6 with the old hot shoe design? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

We don't know, but I personally doubt it since it would take a massive firmware change.

Feel free to send feedback to Canon. Go to the Canon home page and scroll to the bottom:

Untitled.jpg

View solution in original post

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Were you in need of having the flash be on camera or off camera? If you only need it off camera, there should be a controller that you could use. Away from my computer, so didn’t get a chance to look up details. 

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Chanin
Apprentice

Aaaand…shouldn’t have voice dictated that!! Meant to say “ I know that the original R6 doesn’t have the new multi-function hot shoe…” 😉

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

We don't know, but I personally doubt it since it would take a massive firmware change.

Feel free to send feedback to Canon. Go to the Canon home page and scroll to the bottom:

Untitled.jpg

Thanks for your comment – that’s helpful! That’s what I was afraid of, that they’re  moving forward and not helping those of us who bought that R6 before that R6 Mark II came out (those of us with the old hot shoe). I appreciate your comment!

I used the R6 Mark II today for the first time, I have a R6, I would definitely 100% NOT, BUY/UPGRADE TO THE Mark II. If you  are 100% not shooting video, the R6 Mark II is a waste. There is not a single feature that makes it work $600 more, for a photographer only. ZERO. I even noticed that some of the custom lens ring functions do not work 100% of the time in photo mode on the Mark II. I was most likely doing something wrong or set it up wrong, but it should not be that different or that difficult from One camera to the other. The Mark II is 100000% geared towards video shooters.

Over the past few years I've noticed that Canon is turning into Apple / iPhone's. Everything has become different, you need adapters, not compatible with older and better quality accessories. The next camera that comes out, I will 100% bet my R6 on, they're going to change the batteries  and you will have to throw away and upgrade to something different. $200 adapter just to use my old lenses????? How much do you think the hot shoe adapter will be??.

Upgrading from my Canon 5D Mark IV to the R6 was like going to a completely new setup. Trade-in value on the 5D Mark IV at B&H, three of them could not  equal one R6. It's sad because they definitely could have made the R6 and R5 with a built-in adapter. They discontinued the 600s speed lights, then come out with the El SERIES, but don't make it compatible to all the cameras. Oh I know what THEY will do, force them to purchase a EL-1 for $1100.

I LOVE CANON, I LOVE MY THREE NEW canon R6's. But it is getting out of HAND!!!! 

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Were you in need of having the flash be on camera or off camera? If you only need it off camera, there should be a controller that you could use. Away from my computer, so didn’t get a chance to look up details. 

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I would prefer to use it off camera on a tripod, but would love to have the option to use it on camera if needed in certain situations. Sounds like the best bet is to buy a used Speedlite 600 - thanks for the help!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I understand this is a sensitive subject for folks.   I was a little surprised the 600EX was discontinued.  There must be something else in the works as the EL-5 isn't going to work "on camera" without firmware as @kvbarkley mentions.  Not even sure it could be adapted on camera reasonably. 

The EL-1 is on backorder everywhere right now.     

This is only speculation on my part, but its possible a high end MFS compatible replacement is in the works too.  I don't think its the EL-5.  Thats going to be entry level.  Conventional HS users may end up with the EL-1 at say $699 or $799? No idea at this point.  Maybe we'll hear something at the end of next month when the EL-5 actually hits since Canon will likely need to add support for it in the summer FW releases slated for the end/beginning of june/july.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Nick55
Enthusiast

Will this newly developed Hot Shoe and EL-5 solve the issue of “ Link Drop”?

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I don't think anyone here knows.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements