cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Speedlite EL-5 Compatibility with EOS R5 and EOS R5 C

JFoss
Contributor

I am surprised that the compatability for the R5 and R5C is not listed.  Can Canon officially confirm it will be supported when released so that I can pre-order??

Thanks! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I concur with Ricky.  The shoe on our R5 C's have the updated shoe.  Same as the R3.  I would not hesitate to pre-order.

shadowsports_0-1667498034874.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

Danfaz
Enthusiast

It's only compatible with newer cameras (R7,R10,R3,R6II) with multi-function hotshoe.

Per the product page: ImportantBecause of the transition to Canon’s Multi-function accessory shoe, please be aware that Speedlite EL-5 cannot be mounted or used on Canon cameras with other accessory shoe designs.

Also in the tech specs: Compatible Cameras EOS cameras equipped with a Multi-purpose Shoe

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi,

Have now had the chance to research the ST-E10.  I could not find any compatibility listings.  However, B&H states R3, R7, R10 and R6 MKII.  No R5 C support currently.

Lets confirm the following:

**Do not use the AD-E1.  Mount the transmitter.  Slide quick release >>> one click to right to lock (off) >>> once more to on position.  Turn camera on to photo mode.

Press menu button on camera.  Now Camera menu > 3.

Select External Speedlight Control > then set to select.  Do you have a menu?

shadowsports_0-1681169223117.png

If not, I'd reach out to Canon.  Nothing is defective, but you need to make sure they know you want support.  We know the shoe can provide power.  

The transmitter is not going to work in Cinema OS.  This is expected.  While you can configure a button to capture a still image in video mode, the R5 C will not capture a full res 45MP image and flash photography is not possible.  

If the transmitter does not power, I can only assume and hope it might be supported in a future update (like when the EL-5) becomes available.  The next FW release is "rumored" by Canon to be released this summer.  > "The firmware will be available as a free download Summer 2023."  

Prior to the video Canon released with these announcements, I was hopeful we might get a surprise for NAB in Vegas which starts 4/15.  I'll bet the R5 C on display there will be super tricked out.  I can't go unfortunately, so I hope it happens in early June.  

***EDIT

Forgot to answer your question about R3 vs R5 C.  Thats a call no one can make for you.  I am supremely happy with my R5 C.  Its not perfect, no camera is.  It checks so many of my "wow, this is great" boxes.  Even now I have come to respect the R5 which a year ago was "no way".  Goes to show you what some good FW can do.  

I was never a big fan of the 1DX anything series.  They are incredibly powerful, have exceptional IQ and the performance is in many ways unsurpassed. I just wanted more resolution.  If I were a sports photographer, then yep, a 1DX-x is the best deal in town. 

The R3 gave me serious pause.   I was ready to move to mirrorless.  I'm a stills shooter after all, who wanted to explore video.  6K was enough there, but what's this eye control.  Would I use that?  Then the R5 C got announced and right there I knew that was it.  Its a little deeper than the R5, but has all the bells and whistles I wanted.  I never had ibis, and always liked lens IS.  Canon does such a wonderful job there.  Then a fellow forum member @RS-EOS (Ricky) and (Damien Cooper) MonkeyPixels on YouTube showed me what ND filters can do in video. 

To ibis, lower res and eye control (R3), or not to ibis and all the res I wanted in a smaller form factor (R5 C). You know what won.  Just like the R5, the R5 C continues to get better.  The C70 too if video is your thing, and then you get your built in ND.  The R3 is dynamite for many, but I'm good where I'm at.  Until the R1 hits.  🤣

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for your detailed reply.

In the stills menu, with the ST-E10 attached and clicked-in, the Speedlite menu tells me  "This menu cannot be displayed.  Incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off"  (The thing doesn't power up at all, no lights, no response from the built-in menu button)  When an "old style" speedlite is attached, everything is fine.  I can even control the Speedlite functions from the camera menu so it's clearly a compatibility issue here.  I'll see if I can make time to be on hold with Canon, but I'm sure they must know about this.  

Regarding R3, if only the sensor was a bit higher-res, although that's not a dealbreaker.  I was about to pull the trigger, but got such a great deal on the R5C with the 24-105L.  (I have no more L glass left, after I sold all my gear a few years ago) so I was somewhat on a  budget.  I have huge hands, and have always used pro-body Canon cameras for the ergonomics alone.  I only wish Canon made the R5 series in the perfectly-proportioned R3 body.  I'm also primarily a stills shooter, and delve into video for my channel that I want to provide better content-for.  I love the quality of the R5C stills.  The cinema features are too much for me and my skills, but I might learn enough to produce some nice content.  It's another rabbit hole of rigs, continuous ligthing, modifiers, etc.

Past Gear:
1DX, 1DXII, 1DIV, 7D, EF 2.8 Trinity, EF-500mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1,2L II USM
Current Gear:
R5C, RP, RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, RF50mm f/1.2L USM, RF100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, 4x 600EX-II-RT Speedlites

chrishoesel
Enthusiast

Well, for what it's worth, I spoke to Canon reps and have given them feedback asking for future firmware support for EL-5, ST-E10, and other multifunction shoe accessories in the stills-mode of the camera.  We'll see if they are able to do something if not already.  She was unable to comment on any future firmware revision features but that it would have to be baked into the cinema software side of things.

Past Gear:
1DX, 1DXII, 1DIV, 7D, EF 2.8 Trinity, EF-500mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1,2L II USM
Current Gear:
R5C, RP, RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, RF50mm f/1.2L USM, RF100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, 4x 600EX-II-RT Speedlites

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Yes.  Good that you got in touch.  I'm currently updating my lenses adding the Lens Breathing Correction for video I believe is coming in June.  Not a big one for me, but I'll take it.  To my surprise, the camera's (photo) manual actually tells you to update FW for the Control Ring Adapter in photo mode.  This is the only accessory I am aware of that gets updated in photo mode.  Everything else is on the Cinema side, camera and lenses.  The control ring doesn't have any FW listed.  It may never need it.  

I wish there was a better outcome for this.  the ST-E10 was released prior to the R5 C.  Since it supports the EL-1, 400EX RT-III and the 600 series, I would have been generally inclined to think it might work.  The fact is though, the R5 C is truly a hybrid camera running Cinema OS.  It just happens to have all the cool things (minus) ibis the R5 has and does so well.  It also has the MF Shoe.  I can't imagine support won't be added if you can hang on just a bit.  I'll raise my hand for it as well.  Its not a primary "want" for me, but I recognize its value.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

CodeTHR33
Contributor

I found the following at the bottom of the Canon Finland website on the page for the EL-5:

”If you are using a compatible camera with a Canon multi-function hot shoe, the firmware may need to be updated. Note: Not all cameras may support all functions (EOS R5 C camera and camcorders with multi-shoe not supported).”

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

This is all speculation.  I remain confident the EL-5 will be supported.  Its the only multi-function shoe flash on the horizon.  I am not concerned with dust and water sealing.  The information has been inconsistent.  I'm waiting for the release and remain hopeful for the FW coming this summer.  

This is what I have compiled.

R5 C - Firmware Summer 2023 - Canon Community

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

chrishoesel
Enthusiast

Just tried the 1.0.4.1 firmware, and alas, none of the MFS accessories work in stills mode.  Looks like it was a video-only update.  Still hoping for a follow-on updated version that gives us support for these accessories.

Past Gear:
Current Gear:
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements