cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need the right flash unit for Canon Rebel EOS T3i to use as separate fill light.

ZCECILIA
Contributor

Im looking to have a separate flash unit for my Rebel T3i purchased in 2012.    My old Canon speedlight 300EZ was for my old 35mm. film Canon EOS 650 and is somewhat limited.   I have a Phottix Strato II Multi Transmitter and Receiver set but I can't get it to work with the old 300 EZ speedlight.

Thanks,

Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

4 REPLIES 4

ScottyP
Authority
A Canon 430ex would be a good flash for not a lot of money. So would a Phottix Mitros.

The best thing would be to have 2 or 3 flashes so you can shoot with a more 3-d professional look, though you'd need an extra receiver or else you can simply buy a pair of Phottix Mitros Plus flashes, which have a transmitter and receiver built in. I have 3 of the Mitros + units and I love them.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

+1  Start with the 430.  It'll give you eTTL capabilities if you want.  If you enjoy flash and would like to get into more advanced flash photography then I'd get a couple more with radio triggers.  But I'd recommend Yongnuo 560III if you're ok with manual flash.  If you want off-camera eTTL then that's a much more complicated discussion.

amfoto1
Authority

Tiny and mostly automated: 90EX... Guide Number 30ft/9m.

Small and mostly automated: 270EX or 270EX II... GN 89ft/27m.

Medium/Video: 320EX.... GN 105ft/32m, provides a flash tube for still photos, plus has a small continuous lamp for video.

Medium: 430EX II... GN 141ft/43m.  

Large: 600EX-RT... GN 197ft/60m, can serve as master or off-camera slave via radio control & triggering of other 600EX-RT units (other flashes use optical communication for off-camera/remote control).

I have no idea how these would work with the Phottix items.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

The guide number uses a base-exposure of ISO 100 and f/1.0. The ISO 100 part is no problem (every camera can do that), but nobody makes an f/1.0 lens. That focal length is used because it makes the math easy when you want to find out how far away a subject can be and still get adequate light.

Divide the guide number by the f-stop you are using. Most all lenses can handle f/5.6 as a worst-case. So you could use that as a working assumption. But that makes a 90EX good for about 5-1/4 feet at ISO 100 and f/5.6. You can get that up to 10-1/2 feet at ISO 400. This means the 90 is a bit limited. It could be used for fill light at close range.

The 430EX II is probably the best "first" dedicated speedlite. My first dedicated E-TTL speedlite was a 430EX II, then I got a 580EX II... now I use 600EX-RT units (and love the radio system that the 600's have.)

A 430EX II would provide adequate light for a subject about 25' away at f/5.6 while still using a base ISO of 100. At ISO 400 it can handle about 50'.

Also, the 430EX II can work as an optically triggered remote flash in conjunction with the on-camera flash of the T3i.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements