cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 320-EX speedlight will not trigger via wireless radio trigger (YONGNUO RF 602 RX).

guil
Contributor

My 320-EX speedlight will not trigger via wireless radio trigger (YONGNUO RF 602 RX). My camera is a 60D. The radio transmitter mounted on the hot shoe does communicate with the receiver mounted on the speedlight hotshoe. I can actually fire the flash using the test buttom on the transmitter. However, when I take a photo, the flash will not fire. I can only use the 320 EX speedlight via optical trigger, which I do not want. Can the 320-EX speedlight be triggered by a radio transmitter at all ? Can someone help ? Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Skirball
Authority

Yes, the 320 can be triggered with the RF-602, as you show by using the test button.  Most likely your camera is not telling the transmitter to fire.  A couple of common causes, if it’s not one of these we can look deeper:

• Are you using Live View?  Canon doesn’t fire third party flashes via Live View.  There are some workarounds, do a search.  If you turn off silent mode it might work.  
  • The transmitter for the RF-602 sometimes slides back slightly on the camera hotshoe, not making contact with the center lead.  Make sure it’s firmly slid all the way forward.
  • Make sure your camera is set to fire the flash.  There are various options in the menu that might disable flash, but the easiest way to check is just to stick the flash on the hotshoe and make sure it fires.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Skirball
Authority

Yes, the 320 can be triggered with the RF-602, as you show by using the test button.  Most likely your camera is not telling the transmitter to fire.  A couple of common causes, if it’s not one of these we can look deeper:

• Are you using Live View?  Canon doesn’t fire third party flashes via Live View.  There are some workarounds, do a search.  If you turn off silent mode it might work.  
  • The transmitter for the RF-602 sometimes slides back slightly on the camera hotshoe, not making contact with the center lead.  Make sure it’s firmly slid all the way forward.
  • Make sure your camera is set to fire the flash.  There are various options in the menu that might disable flash, but the easiest way to check is just to stick the flash on the hotshoe and make sure it fires.

Hi Skirball - many thanks!!! The problem was due to liveview being actived  as you suspected. As soon as I turned it off, the radio trigger RF 602 worked flawlessly with the 320 EX speedlight. Thanks againn. I was so frustrated. One obvious thing I learnt is that if you are not using fresh batteries, you will have to wait 5 - 10 seconds before the flash can fire.

Glad it worked for you.  If you want to try using live view with off-camera flash you can try turning off the "silent mode" in the menu, I think that trick works for the 60D.

5-10 seconds is a long time for recycling.  I suggest you pick up a set of Eneloops.

Announcements