cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot stop my 7D internal flash firing when set up for wireless with 430 EX II.

BryanShaw1
Enthusiast

I have followed the set up instructions on the camera, with the middle icon set in the wireless func. setting.

The test flash is OK with a pre-flash from the camera, and a successful firing of the speedlite.

However, when taking a picture, the 7D internal flash fires at the same time as the speedlite.

Can you help please?

19 REPLIES 19

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I believe the 7D uses OPTICAL wireless flash. It gets the wireless signal from the built-in flash.

You can configure the 7D so the on-camera flash is very low power so that it doesn't affect exposure but still sends signal.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/blogs/2013/20131217_chan_incameraflash_blog.shtml

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I believe the 7D uses OPTICAL wireless flash. It gets the wireless signal from the built-in flash.

You can configure the 7D so the on-camera flash is very low power so that it doesn't affect exposure but still sends signal.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/blogs/2013/20131217_chan_incameraflash_blog.shtml

Correct. The 7D has no RF capability.

I don't think the 430EX II does either. You need the newer "RT" model.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

wireless function.JPG

John,

Thanks for your reply, and please see above the extract from the web page you kindly forwarded.

I have set the 7D to the middle setting "Only the external speedlite will affect exposure, the pop up flash will only fire a pre flash". So I think what I want it to do is achievable somehow.

Grateful for any further thoughts.

Regards,

Bryan.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
That's exactly what you want Bryan. Remember too that the two flashes need to be looking at each other, as shown in camera manual. Something I have not tried, but thought of, if you had a mirror set so that on camera flash beam bounced off it and onto the off camera flash you might be able to have both flashes facing same direction.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
That's exactly what you want Bryan. Remember too that the two flashes need to be looking at each other, as shown in camera manual. Something I have not tried, but thought of, if you had a mirror set so that on camera flash beam bounced off it and onto the off camera flash you might be able to have both flashes facing same direction.

He probably can anyway. All of my Canon flashes (a 580EX, a 580EX II, and a 600EX RT) can be swiveled 180 degrees, so that the receiver points in the opposite direction, i.e. back toward the camera. If the OP's 430EX II works the same way, he shouldn't need the mirror.

Bob

Good point. I rarely use flash so I don't know about the swivel.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yes, the 430 EX II does swivel.

However, if you go to the built-in flash function menu shown above, the bottom of the screen shows the 'test flash firing' button.

As I said previously, this works perfectly - firing a pre-flash before the speedlite. But when taking a photo, both internal and speedlite fire together. Why the difference?

@BryanShaw1 wrote:

Yes, the 430 EX II does swivel.

However, if you go to the built-in flash function menu shown above, the bottom of the screen shows the 'test flash firing' button.

As I said previously, this works perfectly - firing a pre-flash before the speedlite. But when taking a photo, both internal and speedlite fire together. Why the difference?

Forget about the test flash; that's probably there just so you can prove to yourself that the flash works.

The actual pre-flash doesn't fire together with the speedlite; if fires slightly ahead (at greatly reduced power unless you tell it otherwise), to tell the speedlite that it's time to fire. But the time difference between the flashes is too short for your eye/brain system to resolve. Note that you wouldn't want it to be otherwise: if the pre-flash were discretely discernible, you'd run the risk that your subject would blink before the main flash could fire.

Bob

Further to previous correspondenses, please see attached guide from Canon which clearly states that "The built-in speedlite can either contribute to the flash exposure or trigger the slaves without contributing to the flash exposure."

I've followed all the instructions but cannot stop the built-in flash from 'contributing'.

I've seen other Canon websites stating the same thing so there must be a way.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

canon.jpg

Announcements