cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get high speed sync off camera with a 60D and 430 ex ii speediest?

secondlevel
Enthusiast

I am trying to get my 430 speedlite to sync high speed with my camera off camera.  Once I set everything up I can only get a shutter speed of 250.  I need higher speeds for what I want to do and I need the flash off camera.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

What are you using to control the 430EX II off camera?  Do you have a speedlite controller or another speedlite?

The 430EX II does support high-speed sync when it's working as an off-camera remote/slave flash, but it's automatic.  If the on-camera flash is set to use high-speed sync then the slave will also use high-speed sync... you don't actually have to set the slave in high-speed sync mode.  (See page 29 of the 430EX II manual).

If you're using the built-in flash on the 60D to trigger the 430EX II then this could be the problem because the built-in flash doesn't support high-speed sync.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

What are you using to control the 430EX II off camera?  Do you have a speedlite controller or another speedlite?

The 430EX II does support high-speed sync when it's working as an off-camera remote/slave flash, but it's automatic.  If the on-camera flash is set to use high-speed sync then the slave will also use high-speed sync... you don't actually have to set the slave in high-speed sync mode.  (See page 29 of the 430EX II manual).

If you're using the built-in flash on the 60D to trigger the 430EX II then this could be the problem because the built-in flash doesn't support high-speed sync.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you.  I am using my on camera flash to trigger the speedlite. 

Skirball
Authority

What are you using to use the flash off camera?  And what shooting mode are you using?  Are you using manual or eTTL flash?  You're selecting HSS on the flash (the icon is an H with a lightning bolt)?

There really shouldn't be anything to it, if the flash is on HSS you can set your shutter speed normally.  As always with speedlights, if something is not acting normal take the flash completely off the camera, have a look at all the contacts, and put it back on making sure to slide it all the way on and lock it.  I know it sounds silly, but I've put my flashes only partially on many times before and you can get some really erratic results.

Edit:  Oops, Tim beat me to it.  Sorry for the double post.

Announcements