cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 600EX II-RT drops link- HELP!

Phillyphoto
Apprentice

Scenarios I have tried: 

Using Canon Transmitter ST-E3-RT as the master and (2) 600 EX II-RTs as slaves.

Using A 600EX as master and B 600EX as slave.

Using B 600EX as master and A 600EX as slave. 

I get the same result of the slave dropping link. The time varies. Sometimes it drops link in 4 mins, sometimes 10mins, sometimes 20 or more minutes. The only way to relink them is by turning everything off and back on.

All channels are the same. Yes, I have scanned for the best connection as well as every other channel and AUTO.

All IDs are the same. 

Not near a wifi-router or airport, I'm in a row home in Philadelphia. 

Using NiMh rechargeables and using freshly charged batteries for every test. Batteries are about 2 years old. 

I have spoken to 2 Canon service reps and neither of them has any idea what the problem is. I really don't have the money to spend on sending everything in for "repair". 

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sadly I couldn't resolve the issue and Canon insisted they couldn't find a problem. I ended up buying new flashes - not an ideal outcome! 

View solution in original post

193 REPLIES 193

Nick55
Enthusiast

Steppy. 
I do not own an Apple HomePod Speaker. 
however I did just purchase a Bose Soundlink Revolve II speaker. It is powered off in next room and I also took it outside again powered off and upstairs in bedroom off as well. 

It could be due to any new wifi connected device, either in your own home or from a neighbour. One other contributor and myself have verified that HomePods are related to these issues, but the basic problem appears to be either poor noise immunity and/or lockup due to interference of the Canon devices.

I tried to open my ST-E3 RT to see if there was any evidence of a factory firmware update capability, but I couldn't get it to come apart easily and I didn't want to break the case.

I had another issue just the other day when I thought I was out of range of the HomePods. However, I was still close to one of my power-line adapters which routed the signals across to the other side of the building. I turned this adapter off and all was well again. I haven't investigated further, but it would appear that the "source" (I'm my case the HomePods) had routed the disturbing signals to the wifi router, which in turn had distributed them throughout the property via both wifi and the power-line. This is really inconvenient.

abmoran
Apprentice

I posted this to CPS and received this response:

Canon has not released an official statement as we have not verified exclusively what is causing the issues that individuals are experiencing when using these transmitters and flashes. As you mentioned, when there is no interference in the vicinity, everything works fine. We do state that there could be connectivity issues in such cases where there is radio interference with other devices.

So, Canon is aware of the problem but doesn't fully understand it.

Clean the hot shoe, change the batteries, are the batteries Alkaline or NiMH, is the flash in TTL or Manual mode, all useless questions and just different ways to "Pass the buck". I mentioned that while I bought (2) flagship EL-1 speed lights, and have an existing 600 EX-RT, all 3 of these lose connection, so I had to spend more money to get Godox transmitters/receivers to solve my disconnect problems. With the Godox hardware, I have NEVER lost connection, they just work, period. 

If my cell phone loses connection to the WiFi, I don't have to power cycle anything, it just reconnects. Maybe Canon needs to take this approach of an automatic reconnect feature it is gets dropped! (Just sayin)

Reminds me of the children's song: "The wheels on the bus go round and round". Canon, please wake up and solve the problem of disconnects, and make the flash reconnect automatically! It's embarrassing connecting cheap Chinese Godox hardware to a pricey Canon flash that already has RF built-in. 

kristieschram
Contributor

I am even more  disappointed now to know Canon is aware of this, sold an expensive faulty product and not taking responsibility or care of it's amazing customers.  Not good!

kristieschram
Contributor

I actually started this conversation, but somehow I'm now a spectator instead a contributor. 

Nick55
Enthusiast

They are aware of issue. Do they care to find the solution….

I am also having this issue at 2 specific locations, that use home pod wifi and wifi light setups. I have an EL-1 and Four 600 RT's   Disconnect after 2-3 minutes EVERY time.... Hard to be a "professional" when my professional gear doesn't perform.

AdamFalgout
Contributor

I am also having this issue at 2 specific locations, that use home pod wifi and wifi light setups. I have an EL-1 and Four 600 RT's   Disconnect after 2-3 minutes EVERY time.... Hard to be a "professional" when my professional gear doesn't perform.

Announcements